NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 29th, 2021, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator advice

92, XJ, 4.0 alternator needs replacement.
Should I just go to Autozone etc and get the recommended or is there one that would serve as an upgrade?
Old May 29th, 2021, 16:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Alternator advice

Note: this is on a stock XJ
Old May 31st, 2021, 07:31
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know if you need it ASAP, but I have used this kit on 2 alternators now and I am very satisfied. The first one is still going after many miles and about 8 years. The 2nd I did just as a precaution on a new to me Jeep. There are step-by-step thorough videos for each product they sell and you only need simple hand tools. They also have a high amp kit if I remember correctly.
https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/dpi/

Also, I realized after ordering these kits how Autozone etc. can afford to do lifetime warranties on rebuilt alternators. They are probably only throwing the cheapest parts in them and if you bring it back once or twice, no biggie.
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:48
NAXJA Member

If you want to go the new route, I've found the TYC alternators a good stock choice.
Old May 31st, 2021, 17:27
Freakish Hand Strength

Autozone and the other parts stores have cheap crappy Chinese rebuilt alternators. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works there and says 10-15% of the alternators are Dead on Arrival.

I take my alternators to a local shop and have them rebuilt with German and Japanese parts. Otherwise I would buy a new TYC, Remy or ACDelco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; June 1st, 2021 at 03:56.
Old May 31st, 2021, 22:28
NAXJA Forum User

Local shop rebuilt mine for 80
Old June 6th, 2021, 12:00
NAXJA Forum User

If you can't find a local rebuild shop, look online and find a source of Nippendenso remanufactured alternators in the size appropriate for your jeep. Denso has a huge facility in Maryville, TN that makes new and remanufactured parts.

I got mine from this site...

https://www.carid.com/1996-jeep-cherokee-parts/

Bosch also makes very good rebuilt alternators.
Stay away from the auto chains. It is a crap-shoot.
Old June 10th, 2021, 18:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Autozone and the other parts stores have cheap crappy Chinese rebuilt alternators. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works there and says 10-15% of the alternators are Dead on Arrival.

I take my alternators to a local shop and have them rebuilt with German and Japanese parts. Otherwise I would buy a new TYC, Remy or ACDelco.
this. all of this.

find a local shop, have them wind it heavy or step up in amps with a dodge 2500 truck alt.

good options. although the bigger alt didn't fit on mine. crashed the front so YMMV