• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RPM's jumping around

XJSteven

NAXJA Forum User
Any idea what could cause my RPM's to start jumping around sometimes when I'm driving along? I've replaced the TPS and tried swapping a few sensors over (02 sensor, camshaft sensor, coil etc) but it made no difference. I adjusted the throttle valve cable and tested the transmission solenoids with an ohmmeter and they look fine - although the fault I'm experiencing is intermittent.

It could be the torque converter locking and unlocking. I've searched the forum and a couple of possible causes are faulty brake pedal switch or a vacuum leak.

Sometimes when I put my foot down the RPM's increase like it's dropped down a gear but there's no power or acceleration (like it's being held back).

I might play around with the brake pedal switch and change the transmission oil and filter. Is it worth changing the solenoids over while I'm doing the service?

When you mention low power, I think of a possibly clogged catalytic converter.

Never hurts to change the fluid. It's due to be done every 30,000 miles anyway.

What does your fluid look like?

It's not necessary to pull the pan as there is a screen, not a filter, in the AW4. You can just drain it using the plug and refill with 3.75 quarts of Dexron.

Thanks. It looks like it could have been the brake pedal switch that needed adjusting. Must have been confusing the Transmission computer into thinking I was braking.

Back