• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights not working..again...

2001xjOK

NAXJA Forum User
My headlights are not working again..The running lights, turn signals, inside dome lights(incl dimmer function) all work...Just no hi or low beams..Last time this happened I just replaced the headlight switch and all was fine...Now, it has happened again approx 4 months later...I have tried yet another HL switch(from NAPA) with no luck..I have also tried a multi-function switch...Same result...I have previously installed aftermarket relay(s) and upgraded wiring harness..I have checked all fuses and tested relay(s) function..I have also tried a stock headlamp that I had(known good) and it does not work either..Not sure what to try next...Any help would be appreciated,,Sucks not being able to drive Jeep after sundown....Thanks

Must be some kind of electrical issue. You will need to use your volts/ohms multi-meter to check for voltage where needed, check wire continuity, check continuity to ground, check relay function, check fuses, check switch function, and inspect wire harness plugs to diagnose the problem. Start at the headlamp plugs and work your way back to the switch. Nobody is going to be able to say "Measure 6.3 inches down the green wire and look for a problem".

Going threw the same thing, all fuses are good, tried 3 different hl switches. Mine first started with no low beams. Now with the switch all the way out only get high beams no marker lights. Half tempted on my next day off just to wire everything through switches.

Same occurrence... Currently working on axle and drop brackets.. I went from laid off to 60 hours unexpectedly so not much progress.once those are in i will start troubleshooting ...please post your progress!

I have a putco harness as well. Made some progress on it today, with a multi meter. All got are headlights, no marker or interior lights. I put a jumper wire from the power feed to the marker light socket on the hls connecter and was able to have marker lights. Same with headlight socket and interior lights. After finding which tab is for what on the HLS I tested continuity with the switch in the different spots and got nothing except for the headlights with it all the way pulled out. So I have 3 bad switchs.

Same problem I had with my '91. Replaced the switch and added a ASTPH42 headlight harness kit from All Star Truck Parts via Amazon. Works great!

Back