• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Downpipe

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody tired to install MagnaFlow downpipe on a their Cherokee?

PIPE.jpg

I did a little research and I was unable to find anybody installing it..

It is the only downpipe I can find that doesn't have a crimp in it.

There are some XJ downpipes out there with no crimps. I've got a Borla one myself.

Thats a TJ downpipe there. IIRC, Farmet Matt runs one on his buggy, but I havent looked myself (remember reading it somewhere).

anything can be made to fit. I would just go the local muffler shop and have them make you a downpipe

Yeah the last shop I talked to wanted well over $150 in labor.. When I can buy a Walker for $55 or the Magnaflow w/ a cat for $160.

There are some XJ downpipes out there with no crimps. I've got a Borla one myself.
Woow $620.00 for 3" downpipe! No I am good I will run a Walker! Do you know anyone else who isn't crimped and isn't over $125.00?

Thats a TJ downpipe there. IIRC, Farmet Matt runs one on his buggy, but I havent looked myself (remember reading it somewhere).

Yeah I read it some where that somebody ran the Magnaflow downpipe on the XJ, but I can't remember where though.

2000-2001 XJs don't have the crimp, but they mount differently (2 pre-cats), no clearance issues with a HP front end in mine with around 4" of lift.

I just bought a brand new Banks stainless pipe off ebay. Looks identical to the factory head pipe, but no crimps and the pipe length at the flange is slightly shorter to where the "test pipe" would bolt in place of a cat. In all of my searching, the 4.0 XJ's and YJ's were basically the same when it comes to about the first half of the exhaust, by that I mean the pipe has the same bends around the trans and side of the engine, then the same headers/manifolds too. The only downside here is Banks doesn't make them anymore. I actually found mine from some guy who had it sitting around and never used it (gotta love ebay for that). I didn't know anyone else had made one, found out Banks did from the pamphlet that came with my headers when they arrived... I don't see though why one from another company would be any different...

The only thing I can't speak to is driveshaft clearance in regards to lift. It seems though you are lifting yours though so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I do believe some of them may have some slightly different o2 sensor bung placement differences though not 100% certain about that. Also, what year XJ are you building? That pic and link you posted look like they are for the 2000 and 2001 models... Pipe is COMPLETELY different if you don't have that model...

One final thing, before I found the pipe I bought, I went to a local exhaust shop and talked to one of the guys there, he said if I can bring in the old head pipe they could bend me a stainless one to match it, would be about $75 for that option, but made of heavy gauge stainless and with stainless flanges on both sides... Not sure if that would help at all, but just an idea maybe...

Paint

if you have some fab/welding skils you can easily cut the crimp part out and install a new peice of pipe, would be much cheaper and fwiw I wouldn't change the downpipe unless you're running forced induction or a stroker, for a regular 4.0 the size is fine and if change you might loose a little torque.

Last edited:
There is practically zero gain to be had from removing the clearance crimp in the pipe. Anyone that has dyno runs to prove otherwise should post them up.

I use a guy, here in the Springs, for my exhaust work that is extremely knowledgeable (been in the business for decades) and he is of the opinion that it is not worth the expense to make the change.

If someone who makes his living from fabricating exhaust tells you not to bother, why do so?

There is practically zero gain to be had from removing the clearance crimp in the pipe. Anyone that has dyno runs to prove otherwise should post them up.

I use a guy, here in the Springs, for my exhaust work that is extremely knowledgeable (been in the business for decades) and he is of the opinion that it is not worth the expense to make the change.

If someone who makes his living from fabricating exhaust tells you not to bother, why do so?

Far enough, then I will run a Walker downpipe..

2wd and 4wd cherokees have the crimp right under the header outlet on the down pipe. My 96' 2wd has the crimp so I bought a walker down pipe along with the thunder bolt 2.5 inch spun cat and dynomax catback.

I will give a virtuall chocolate cookie to anyone who an name the Movie that features Zod.

And I will even give a hint. Not the Superman movie. Think way older than that...

Back