NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 13th, 2018, 18:55
NAXJA Member #1145

Re: Balance Beads

Add more of whatever is in there now. You're overthinking this. It doesn't matter what the weight is, or how many grams each piece is. It's simple physics.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old March 17th, 2018, 00:10
NAXJA Member

Yeah man, its not rocket science.

If you have balanced them before on a machine then you have a ballpark of how much weight it'll take to balance them. If it took 12oz of lead weights on the outside it'll take about the same in BB's inside.

You can leave whatever bb's you already have in the wheels, and just add more to it. Even if you mix and match with airsoft bb's it shouldn't matter.
Old March 17th, 2018, 03:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Yeah man, its not rocket science.

If you have balanced them before on a machine then you have a ballpark of how much weight it'll take to balance them. If it took 12oz of lead weights on the outside it'll take about the same in BB's inside.

You can leave whatever bb's you already have in the wheels, and just add more to it. Even if you mix and match with airsoft bb's it shouldn't matter.
Not true....if it take 12 ozs @ the rim to balance, it will only take 6-8 ozs in the tire, as the beads will ride against the inside of the tread and be ~2x as far away from the rim center.
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:08
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Not true....if it take 12 ozs @ the rim to balance, it will only take 6-8 ozs in the tire, as the beads will ride against the inside of the tread and be ~2x as far away from the rim center.
Jesus christ. Yes that is true, however, the excess will simply find a good place to hang out, keeping the assembly balanced.

Meanwhile, if you get mud in the tread or other material to screw up the balance, the excess will work to counteract it. This is in fact the strength of doing the balance this way. You get an active balance as you drive the vehicle.

Once again... It's simple physics.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old March 17th, 2018, 12:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Jesus christ. Yes that is true, however, the excess will simply find a good place to hang out, keeping the assembly balanced.

Meanwhile, if you get mud in the tread or other material to screw up the balance, the excess will work to counteract it. This is in fact the strength of doing the balance this way. You get an active balance as you drive the vehicle.

Once again... It's simple physics.

You can put it in there if you want, but it is not needed.

Per your simple physics, if you double the length of the lever, the amount of force needed to do the job is cut in half.
Old March 17th, 2018, 13:33
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Yes, in a perfect world it will take an exact percentage of less weight to balance using beads instead of weights on the rim. However, we don't live in a perfect mathematical world. If we did then he should've been just fine with the 6oz as per the manufacturer recommendation from where he got his beads.

As I previously stated, running 35x12.5r15 KM2's on 15x10 steel bead locks I am only running about 6.5oz of airsoft bb's and my tires balanced out very well. He is only running 33's and that's not enough for his to balance out. Damn, the math failed us. Granted, I figured on about 6oz based on the recommendations from Dyna Bead's website. So who knows.

I do wonder if its something other than a tire balance issue. Was the vibe there before the new wheels/tires?

Last edited by DutchVDub; March 17th, 2018 at 13:57.
Old March 17th, 2018, 15:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Yes, in a perfect world it will take an exact percentage of less weight to balance using beads instead of weights on the rim. However, we don't live in a perfect mathematical world. If we did then he should've been just fine with the 6oz as per the manufacturer recommendation from where he got his beads.

As I previously stated, running 35x12.5r15 KM2's on 15x10 steel bead locks I am only running about 6.5oz of airsoft bb's and my tires balanced out very well. He is only running 33's and that's not enough for his to balance out. Damn, the math failed us. Granted, I figured on about 6oz based on the recommendations from Dyna Bead's website. So who knows.

I do wonder if its something other than a tire balance issue. Was the vibe there before the new wheels/tires?

Agree it sounds like something else is causing the problem.

I was just trying to point out, especially on new tires with no funky wear pattern yet, all that should be needed is 1/2 of what is used on the rim.

Adding more is overkill, and is not necessarily needed.

If I followed that advice, I'd have put almost 4 bags in EACH tire when I used them...but I didn't, and it worked just fine.
Old March 17th, 2018, 20:34
NAXJA Member #1145

Simple fact is, some tires are better made than others and balance with less weight, no matter the method.

Add more. Gain the ability to balance out trapped mud, snow, etc. Still got a problem? It's not the tire balance.
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
No there wasn't. It rode smooth as glass. I've put the stock wheels and tires back on just to make sure it wasn't something else and shes back to ridding smooth.
Old March 19th, 2018, 13:40
NAXJA Member

Then it is definitely the tires/rims

have you tried moving them around to see if anything changes ?
Old March 19th, 2018, 13:42
NAXJA Forum User

Not yet. Over the next 4 days I'm going to be adding more beads and see how that works. Its been hard doing it lately since I broke my arm 2 weeks ago.
Old March 19th, 2018, 16:01
NAXJA Forum User

So I'm trying the strap method to try to seat the bead and this is whats happening
Old March 19th, 2018, 16:50
NAXJA Member #1145

That's fine. You will happen to jostle things about a bit. Given you're dealing with a hurt wing, might need to call in a favor.
Old March 19th, 2018, 17:42
NAXJA Member

Just make sure that as soon as the bead seats you stop putting in air and remove the strap. Things can get violent if you air it up with that strap still on.
Old March 19th, 2018, 17:55
NAXJA Member

If that's your rim....clean that thing up til it looks new before you put it back on the jeep...that mud can throw things off too.