• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Issues

rmoorex

NAXJA Forum User
I have found some posts about clutch problems. But nothing quite fits this.

Major step forward. Major step back in the build.

Installed a SYE. Swapped the NP231 t-case for a reman with the SYE already installed. Also installed a Tom Wood's custom propeller shaft. :spin1:

But then disaster. The clutch on the AX15 basically will not disengage.

At full stop, engine off, clutch pedal to the floor, in first gear, attempt to start XJ, vehicle lunges forward.

At a full stop, in neutral, clutch pedal to the floor, cannot shift into first gear. Must turn off the vehicle to get the vehicle into gear.

Clutch ins't slipping. Full power with acceleration.

Can "power shift" (shift without the clutch) from first through fifth at the proper speed/engine RPM.

1991, AX15 5 speed, 4.0 Litre, 4X. Internal cylinder on the AX15 :^(

Prior to install of reman t-case, clutch pedal was a little sloppy, shifted fine, full power, disengage without issue, engaged fine.

Please advise. Please help. Major buzz kill.

How does the pedal feel? You should feel it engage about an inch into the travel. Is it spongy? Fluid full? Any unusual noises on or off pedal? If there is a leak an the fluid got low you can try bleeding it too.

How does the pedal feel? You should feel it engage about an inch into the travel. Is it spongy? Fluid full? Any unusual noises on or off pedal? If there is a leak an the fluid got low you can try bleeding it too.

Feels like it partially engages at the end of travel.

Just made an attempt to bleed the system. No go. Felt like I was going to turn the corners on the bleeder fasteners. The fasteners are a 16 mm and an 11 mm on the end of a line protruding out of the back what I think is the internal slave cylinder.

Will have to spray that with PB a few days in a row before I try again.

Patience. Patience. Patience. Being patient sucks :gee:

Had similar issues once, clutch gave out and I thought it was a hydraulic issue. Changed out the master and slave, no change. Pulled the transmission out clutch and found this.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Had similar issues once, clutch gave out and I thought it was a hydraulic issue. Changed out the master and slave, no change. Pulled the transmission out clutch and found this.

Thank you. But the thing is, all was working fine before swapping the t-case.

Doesn't make sense that the clutch would go out just because of that.

... does it :rof:

There's also no reason that doing TC work could cause this.

Thank you. But the thing is, all was working fine before swapping the t-case.

Doesn't make sense that the clutch would go out just because of that.

... does it :rof:

My last statement may have sounded like I was poking fun. I am sorry if it came across that way. I definitely was not. I’m an IT guy, not a mechanic. I often feel like I gotta’ ask dumb questions here because I am not a good mechanic for sure.

Clutch is fine. I tried again to bleed the system. Couldn't. Took the Jeep to a mechanic. The guy said the master was leaking. I had a Luk master on hand. He installed it for $100. All is good. Up and running. On with the build. Thank you for all the input.

... But now I have all on hand to convert to a external slave when the clutch goes out the next time, plus a new clutch. When I started this build I was told to "get parts, because it is getting harder to find parts." I think, with all the parts that I have on hand, I could just about build an XJ from an empty hull. Ha

Back