• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this worth $30 (air intake)

rang-a-stang

NAXJA Forum User
My dude (2000, 4.0, auto) is basically completely stock save for a cat back and soon a header and 4 hole injectors. Saw this intake pop up in craigslist for $30. Worth it or waste of money?
Yito

Mark keep your stock box. It's much easier in the long run.

I did the Thor cowl intake on my XJ, and have regretted it since my trip to CO for the FSJ Invasion.
I will be going back to stock this month before heading out to AZ for Turkey in the Desert.

Hey Dusty!!!

Copy that. It's just soooo cheap!

so its a cowl intake?

been running a cowl intake for years. bit of insurance for the 4.0 when I occasionally cross deep water. and it breathes better...

No that is just a ""Cold Air Intake"" Rang bought. It still would be down where the factory box goes.

The Thor intake we have is great.............. If you don't mind the noise like your throttle body is under your dash.
Or you don't mind cutting a massive hole in your firewall.

Does it breath better?
I really can't say it does or not to be honest??

Won’t pass visual in California, so I think that’s your biggest consideration. It’s not gonna add 10hp or anything. But it most likely won’t hurt anything.

Not sure what intake you are looking at. I have not gone that route yet. I have my ideas. I will say, you should look at a bored throttle Body. I have bore out the stock ones through to 60mm. Basically, removing the bottom restriction. It seems to help. Also, I thinned the throttle shaft. That seemed to help.
Tire size and regearing also help. A lot.

Is there supposed to be a picture?

Yeah, sorry folks. Work killed me this week so I am a little behind on responding. I have not bought it yet; it's on Craigslist near me. My XJ is in Idaho now so smog is not an issue anymore.

For those that can't see the picture (xcm was spot on), it looks like a factory rubber throttle body elbow, a chrome 45 degree bend, and a round Spectre air filter. Like DustyWagoneer said, basically a "cold air" intake to replace the factory box setup.

Currently I have a factory box with a super cheap Fram filter in there. I usually run gauze filters in my vehicles just becuase they are cleanable. This seems like it would breathe a little better than the stock box, too. I would not expect a noticeable power difference or a difference in MPG. It would really be a cheap gauze filter that may make my engine sound a little throatier on WOT.

My XJ is an asphalt rock dweller :)cheers: that was for you, Dusty) and will rarely see much more than a rough dirt road. We tow it behind our RV and just want it to last as long as possible.

Lets get that pavement queen dirty lots of cool trails near boise.

I run cleanable dry filters Basically same set up but with 3" exhaust pipe. To put filter in location of where factory box used to be.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back