• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm DIY build questions

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Yo jeep fam!

Well, as the title suggests I'm building some long arms.. I currently have mid arms but they need to be longer, so if I'm gonna invest the time and effort might as well go LA is my thought

SO, I'm starting with the dirt bound center section and will be running either 2x2 square ¼ or 2" x .25 dom for the lowers and 1.5x .125 dom for the upper. I'll be using the Johnny joints for lowers all around and body side upper.

I need to make the upper link to mate to the joint om the axle housing (driver) and likely Johnny joint body side, or maybe reuse the heim inhave currently.

As for bungs... is there a more desired threaded bung to use than others? Do I use round bugs even if I go with the square for the lowers?
Is there a general consensus on length per lift for lowers? Or just mock up with pvc and er on the long side (joints all the way screwed in)?

Any flaws in my logic so far? Thanks for any input

IRO For bungs? Are there square bugs or just use the biggest round one that'll fit inside the square?
I already have the IRO flex joint on the differential housing side. Think I used a Barnes 4x4 link to mate the upper arm to said mount. I might be able to reuse that link end, the only one that isn't a joint on all 3 arms

I suggest not using square as it isn't as strong!

Oh ya? Youve run both? I forget, does your rig have long arms? Did you build them or? But you dont really offroad it right?

The engineers at Clayton's offroad deemed square good enough for the KOH and comp jeeps... come to think of it idk if I've seen a sqare arm bent in person, plenty of dom bent though

It's plenty strong and I know from experience.. price will be the deciding factor, both options will be strong for my needs.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/square-or-round-tubing.158297/page-2

I think you are referring to "pound for pound" round may be stronger. However, it's not pound for pound. The square has more material if diameter, wall thickness, and length are equal. So, in this case of long arms the square isn't only a viable option but stronger- at the cost of more weight per arm.

All this to say, i beat the holy hell out of my Clayton's long arms and they held up just fine. A blanket statement about strength sounds uneducated and is providing misinformation to any that should reference this thread. We can get into inertia and formulas if need be- or just read the shared Pirate4x4 thread.

Saying square is ugly vs dom would be a more valid argument imo, tho one id equally roll my eyes at :looser:

Last edited:
The engineers at Clayton's offroad deemed square good enough for the KOH and comp jeeps... come to think of it idk if I've seen a sqare arm bent in person, plenty of dom bent though
Why so Aggro? You asked, rcp responded. If you don’t like the answers you are getting, request a refund. I’d put money on the reason you’ve seen bent round tube, but not square, being because 98% of suspension links in the off-road scene are round. I’ve never seen a Ferrari broken down on the side of the road… does that mean they never break down??

Oh ya? Youve run both?(no) I forget, does your rig have long arms?(yes) Did you build them ?(yes, they are chromoly) But you dont really offroad it right?(nothing but hard core trails)

Why so Aggro? You asked, rcp responded. If you don’t like the answers you are getting, request a refund. I’d put money on the reason you’ve seen bent round tube, but not square, being because 98% of suspension links in the off-road scene are round. I’ve never seen a Ferrari broken down on the side of the road… does that mean they never break down??

I never asked about the validity of using square vs dom just inquired on the bungs really. Haven't sourced any locally and was I guess fishing for a Barnes 4x4 link and assurance that round bungs into the square tube is all there is. I DID ask for flaws in my logic, so I'll give you that. He's just wrong. And so are you if you think Clayton's long arms aren't a normal sight to see on the trails.

And well, I don't have much patience for RCP. He's a habitual ball buster and likes to state opinions as facts despite barely using his junk offroad- at least on any trials my subaru couldn't follow.

So ya, a reply with "my long arms measure 37"s eye to eye when adjusted all the way in" or "here's the bungs I use" or "ya my upper is thinner too, it doesn't take the same forceful beatings.." Yada Yada is what I was after. Not a misinformed opinion presented as fact.

Yo jeep fam!

Thanks for any input

RCP gave you some input. That is exactly what you asked for.

Your response was unwarranted. It's fine if you don't like him, that's your business. He believes that round is stronger than square, he gave you some input. Take it or ignore it.

The Toyota boys run square driveshafts because they are cheap to make but that doesn't make it right! If you want to use square at least use square bungs, 20 yrs ago when I built mine Clayton was one of the few that even offered long arms.

RCP gave you some input. That is exactly what you asked for.

Your response was unwarranted. It's fine if you don't like him, that's your business. He believes that round is stronger than square, he gave you some input. Take it or ignore it.

He did. But he also made a blanket statement that was false. So I felt it necessary to point that out. Someone using Google and stumbling through here could be mislead by the disinformation, and he presented it as matter of fact.
What was unwarranted? My questions were not tongue in cheek.. I couldn't remember his set up, and I've seen him post that he doesn't beat on his junk nor wheel it to hard. So I wanted to preface his opinion correctly.

Trust me, I truly dont care enough to dislike anyone on here. Yes I've had some back n forth with him (as have others) so maybe i was quick to my guns- but it isnt blind shooting, you just dont know the history.

That said, he's been around here for decades! Has a wealth of knowledge, helps probably hundreds of jeepers with guidance and experience, and he himself has done some NICE mods/ building. Maybe he's a resident expert, but that doesn't mean he is above reproach.The matter of factness is what had me rolling my eyes immediately- cus it's wrong and just a silly statement to make.

Thanks for your replies.. he is a big boy tho, and doesn't need you to come to the rescue I can assure you

Last edited:
I've seen him post that he doesn't beat on his junk nor wheel it to hard.

Negative, I don't know what you "think" you saw but I wheel hard! Done most hardcore trails west of the Mississippi including the Hammers, Rubicon, Moab, and the Badlands. I do not thrash my XJ but I don't take by-passes either!

The Toyota boys run square driveshafts because they are cheap to make but that doesn't make it right! If you want to use square at least use square bungs, 20 yrs ago when I built mine Clayton was one of the few that even offered long arms.

Eh, I'd also disagree there... have a few buggies in our group back in NM that built rock solid drive shafts using square. The thickness of the metal and type of treatment it gets is more important than the shape IME. Id run square DSs if my junk was a trailer queen and never saw the pavement. I think the downside of that set up is balancing a square shaft can be a PITA and certainly add vibes to the driveline 40 and above.

Right you are! 20nyears ago it was Kevin from KOR that got me into modding my ZJ starting with a Front to rear spring swap adj TB etc etc. When the Clayton's dropped it was a game changer! MUCH more beef than the cRustys and even Rubicon Express offerings! When I first held the lower long arm I was amazed how beef it was going from JKS adj short arms.. now it's been proven that the radius arm 4 link has its flaws with binding etc... good to see Clayton's acknowledge that tho, and offer true 3 and 4 links. I'd still choose Clayton's over the other LA kits available if money wasn't a care.... with the exception of SFR, those arms are titties!

Negative, I don't know what you "think" you saw but I wheel hard! Done most hardcore trails west of the Mississippi including the Hammers, Rubicon, Moab, and the Badlands. I do not thrash my XJ but I don't take by-passes either!

OK. I think the word you used was "overland" or trails but not in to the rocks? If you were truly so hard-core, your statements about square tube just becomes all the more nonsensical!

What ever you do with your junk is your business!

Lol it's all in fun... I know you have thick skin and will gladly dish it out when I post some welding pics ;)
I know my etone comes off wrong, and peeps may take our bickering wrong. Sorry to the kids in the room :roll:

Side note, those powerstop calipers you got, are they akebono remains? I think I got the same ones powdercoated red right? Definitely say akebono on em. Good deal! Do you run liberty rotors? I need to get rotors that'll fit should my warn locking hubs explode and I need to swap the whole shaft with one of my spares.. liberty and I think I read YJ rotors? Just got to be sure and pack em thick washers too

Nice! Post up video of you topping Carnage canyon near Buena vista!!!!

*I did find square bungs via ballisticfab. Good to know. The chromolly mid arms I built was sourced locally and was more pricey than I think is warranted

Thanks for your replies.. he is a big boy tho, and doesn't need you to come to the rescue I can assure you

Not coming to his rescue, just pointing out a fact. You asked for any input, he gave you some. You spent more time criticizing him and defending yourself over a nothing comment. Ultimately, you'll do what you want, so just take the advice you like, and ignore the rest.

OK. I think the word you used was "overland" or trails but not in to the rocks?
Side note, those powerstop calipers you got, are they akebono remains? I think I got the same ones powdercoated red right? Definitely say akebono on em. Good deal! Do you run liberty rotors?

I've never used the word overland describing my Jeep! My rig is WJ/KJ disc's.

Nice! Post up video of you topping Carnage canyon near Buena vista!!!!

Never done it, but it looks like fun!

Not coming to his rescue, just pointing out a fact. You asked for any input, he gave you some. You spent more time criticizing him and defending yourself over a nothing comment. Ultimately, you'll do what you want, so just take the advice you like, and ignore the rest.

So, it was HOW I told him he was wrong and not why? I can own that.. been spending more time on pirate than here, had some noobesque questions that they woulda lit me on fire for so Posted here. Not like I called him an idiot or anything... but sure, i got defensive warranted or not. I took it as a dig, like I must be foolish to use square and felt the need to set the record straight. Meh

To your logic tho, why not do the same? Comment in your lane and ignore our banter/ what you dont like?

Last edited:
Back