• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The "Impound" Build

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
A while back I posted up some pics of the red 98 XJ that I picked up for my brother. It came out of the City of Chicago Impound and we had no clue as to the overall shape of the rig until we dug into it. All in all, it was a good rig for the money. He replaced the fuel pump in it due to a crack in the regulator and it was seeping fuel out. The A/C needed the evaporator replaced and the exhaust had a few holes in it. Well, all those "minor" things addressed and fixed, it was time to install the lift. We ended up going with a Rough Country 4.5" lift w/ full leaf packs. I pieced together the lift consisting of the new shiney silver 4.5" coils, 4.5" packs, RC drop brackets, the new RC track bar and double shear frame bracket, some RC stainless extended brake lines, RC shocks and steering stabilizer, some used 32's (courtesy of 97Country, Jeremy) and some 1.25 wheel spacers. Here are a few pics of the before & afters and some of the lift install.

As I picked it up

DSC01694-1.jpg

the prior owner had numerous unpaid tickets strung through out this rig..and a lot of garbage

DSC01701.jpg

got it back to my place and cleaned it up a bit and stuck it in one of the sheds until it headed south to southern Missouri for its new home

DSC01712-1.jpg

Made it to my brothers and the lift party began. We pulled the front axle out and installed the new RC track bar bracket.

DSC01919.jpg

We installed the new RC coils, RC drop brackets, new brakes/rotors, extended brake lines and wheel spacers and started getting things back together for the front end.

DSC01925.jpg

Now the front was done we worked on the rear leafs..those stock bolts were a MOFO! This is my brother earning his merit badge on the leaf bolts :D

DSC01931.jpg

Leafs on, front and rear complete and ready for a test drive. Who says you can't lift an XJ in a day in the middle of suburbia w/ limited tools? :D

Good thing I brought my air tools and about everything else I could think of!

DSC01935.jpg

It has been a cool project to see my brother get involved with. He and his family are really into the project and have plans for a new front bumper/grill guard and a roof rack, swing out tire carrier etc. I happened to mention to them a company by the name of JCR :D Enjoy the pics...more to come as the project evolves :thumbup:

Last edited:
That thing is fresh lookin' Tyler, excellent work. That is the best I've seen a rig look with Eccos I do believe.

Thanks Collin, he is a perfectionist about things (note the epoxy painted garage floor that he actually mops when done w/ a project!), so it will get the rockers replaced and repainted and he has it all detailed up and clean now. He is more into fire roads and Sunday drive type trails at the moment since he is new to the sport, but I know him and he will get the itch for something more challenging very soon. That is if he can git it back from his wife :D She loves it!

Thanks Sean, there is an 01 coming on from the impound for $2500 but that is the only details I have, no pics etc yet. When is Travis getting home?

Nice looking jeep. I wish I would have started with a new xj like that. I think I'm getting to the point that I enjoy working on mine though

Parakeet

I sent my brother home with a box of goodies this past weekend for the XJ. Sent him a new pass side mirror, set of factory fog lamps and factory switch panel and front end harness for the lights. He called me last night and said he had the panel installed as well as the harness and lights but it was not powering up. Finally found that it did not have the relay under the hood, let alone there was not even prongs/wiring for a relay to plug into. So he was going to tackle wiring a Bosch relay set up into it and still run the factory switch inside to keep it looking clean. He installed an Alpine CD player in it as well. He is looking at JCR bumpers right now, but can not make up his mind on what he needs verses what he wants. I am getting him a lunchbox locker for his birthday, hope he likes it....

Thanks, it is looking to possibly have its first official trail run at KS Rocks in October. We are needing to get some front tow points on it if he does not get a bumper by then.

The fog light thing is similar to what I did. I ran my own wiring and relay but used the factory switch and panel. Shouldn't be too hard for him to rig up. Hardest part is stuffing the wires behind the switch panel.

Thanks, it is looking to possibly have its first official trail run at KS Rocks in October. We are needing to get some front tow points on it if he does not get a bumper by then.

Since I'm on the haunted hiatus till Nov I will miss the ignagural run for him. Hopefully I can talk you guys into coming to Wheeling 4 Toys in Dec.

Parakeet

Hi country off road makes some nice d-ring mounts for the front. I have used them a time or 2 on the wife’s jeep.

not that he has mentioned, we are going to throw a SYE on it next time I am down there just b/c I had an extra one for him.

Back