• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Look up torque spec charts.

I guarantee most here don't remotely torque to spec.

To give you an idea, for a Grade 8, 5/8" bolt the proper torque is over 200 ft./lbs.

Why so high?

When torqued to spec, there should no yield (e.g. lateral) forces on the bolt. The clamping force, and thus friction, should take all the load.

It's a fun question to ask people...

"How much lateral load/force is a bolt torqued to spec seeing?"

"Zero"

Why so high?

When torqued to spec, there should no yield (e.g. lateral) forces on the bolt. The clamping force, and thus friction, should take all the load.

It's a fun question to ask people...

"How much lateral load/force is a bolt torqued to spec seeing?"

"Zero"

A for every 1ft of breaker bar and 100lbs applied to that bar will be your applied torque , so a 3ft breaker with 100lbs applied you get 300lbs of applied tprque... I weld my control arms so they can't rotate while in the clevice with flex joints centered then use an 8ft long section of rigid conduit as a cheater...and my jamb nuts still worked loose .

Anyone know wtf this is? Little ball with a vac line... Might as well note that the same line has a T that the previous owner capped. Guessing egr maybe.. Although it only has an in and no out

Another fun fact... The exhuast Im removing has an o2 plugged into the cat... The one its getting replaced with does not. Yay!

If i leave it unplugged will it kick a code?

http://imgur.com/gallery/788NnhS

788NnhS

https://www.eisc.com/support/coarsefine.htm

Coarse or fine, the process is the same.

That is the first thing I've read that finally says which is easier! You can find stuff all day on strength and thread benefits, but that little note on making them is fairly illusive. Thank you

Anyone know wtf this is? Little ball with a vac line... Might as well note that the same line has a T that the previous owner capped. Guessing egr maybe.. Although it only has an in and no out

Another fun fact... The exhuast Im removing has an o2 plugged into the cat... The one its getting replaced with does not. Yay!

http://imgur.com/gallery/788NnhS

788NnhS

That's your vacuum canister, pending your year it controls cruise, 4x4 ability I believe on d30 disconnect axles. I don't think hvac uses it, I could be wrong.

Yes, that will set a code.

So which are easier? Coarse?

Can i pin the o2 plug to make it think its working?

Thatd be no problem.. If i didnt have to sell my welder to move to CO :/

Does the ball mount somewhere? Previous owner just had it tucked (unbolted) behind the fuse panel and ac dryer

Last edited:

So which are easier? Coarse?
Not that it really matters:
Fine threads are generally easier to tap. Since the thread height is shallower, the chip load per tooth and chip volume are lower, resulting in less tapping torque and breakage, particularly in difficult to machine materials.

Less chip volume also means that more lubrication will reach the cutting teeth resulting in longer tap life.

I learned how to cut threads over 40 years ago. I still hold my breath when I start a tap or die, even if I'm just chasing threads.

Ya im not a big fan of it LMAO... Seems the coarse are easier to get started, but I could see them taking more torque

Speaking ignorantly here, but it would seem to me that either pitch would be started as easily IF the proper tap is used, as in 2-3 stage of taps. Rapper, plug, bottom if applicable. Maybe not, idk ha!

Can any one advise H1,H2,H4 for clearances, which is average.
https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/n...sCsid=5ld33ioama32o8s51idh8in4p3#.XLj5ocZME0M

3/8-24

Found this brand, snap on says nothing about made in usa so that's out. Irwin largely has sets of made in usa surprisingly. Norseman seems to have some good reviews. I figure a couple good bits and taps for the job seems worth while.

Might just start a new thread... But can anyone recommend a place to drill and tap a steering box for hyrdro assist??

If the price... Is pricey... I'll probaby do it myself- havent done one, but only one way to learn I guess.

On that note, any recommendations on a place to get the ram and fittings here in NoCo? Prefer local vs tractor surplos site online.

Might just start a new thread... But can anyone recommend a place to drill and tap a steering box for hyrdro assist??

If the price... Is pricey... I'll probaby do it myself- havent done one, but only one way to learn I guess.

On that note, any recommendations on a place to get the ram and fittings here in NoCo? Prefer local vs tractor surplos site online.

I have done over a hundred. If you can wait till I get back, I can guide you through it.

If not, I recommend West Texas Offroad.

Oh man, thatd be outstanding!
Im still sourcing everything so i can definitely wait... Since your the pro give me a grocery list? Ive read 2 taps, so I can cut one? The ram and plumbing and brackets can be found at w texas offroad?

Heading down to the 4/20 meet in Denver going to be selling paper back books I down loaded off the internet of Mein Kampf I didn't realize there was such an interest in Hitler's birthday , but I may as well cash in by selling these paper back books to this gathering ...,-)

Just for shits and giggles anyone ever do diy bead locks on steelies, I know aero exists, but what do you think it would take$ to get some inner/ outer rings cnc and drilled?

Saw it recently, looks like a fun project, but everyone marks junk way up, meh.

Back