• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans line > Radiator > Cooler Connection

beastiguurl

NAXJA Forum User
(Been digging through here for months, and can't find exactly what I need this time...) '96, 4.0 SE. Pretty healthy leak @ the transmission line-to-radiator/cooler connection. It's been there since I got the Jeep a couple of years ago, but now I'm of a mood to replace bushings, etc - so I need this to stop! I've got the flare connection undone, and have removed the brass coupler from the radiator. Doesn't appear to be anything going on there, so maybe someone just didn't tighten it down - BUT, the question of the day is:

Are there any rings, gaskets, etc involved in that connection, or is it all metal-to-metal?

Thanks, gang!

Would it magically make an answer appear if I admit to owning & using a Chilton, and not finding the answer there?? (Poor girl solution, but better than nuthin' - marginally.) :looser:
How about if I explain that I'm asking because the leak originates from the brass > radiator connection, and w/ the fan & airbox cover out of the way, it looks like there should be some kind of ring/gasket between the coupler & the radiator/cooler intake?

(Would it cause the universe to implode if I wrapped a little teflon tape around the outer edge of the coupler, making sure that none of it is in a position to contact the tranny fluid?)

Thanks, Langer- you're a hero! Soooo, it appears that some dunce had taken this apart before, and not put the o-rings back, since there were none there when I took it apart..

Is my best bet to run out to my friendly neighborhood auto chain w/ brass piece in hand, and look for a fit? (DUMB q I know, but my ever-so-handy baby bro is not around for me to put in charge of that mission, and I don't want anyone to laugh at me too much!)

If this is the upper connection it is a flare fitting, or at least it is on my 4 XJ's. If it is leaking there, clean it up good, use some pipe sealant and use two wrenches(preferably tubing wrenches and don't use a adjustable wrench or vise grips) and tighten it down good. If its the bottom radiator connection, then it does take a "O" ring. Any Advance or Autozone will have these "O" rings in the "Help" section. I hope this will help, but based on the info I'm not positive. A pic would really help since the fitting may have been changed from stock if a new radiator has been installed.

If it's the fitting with the Nylon "ears" that you squeeze and pull the two parts apart, then there are in fact TWO o-rings and a Nylon spacer in there. The dealer should have a renewal kit for that - I don't recall if anyond has found anything in the aftermarket that works. (ditto fuel lines - if anyone has, DO PLEASE let me know!)

If it's the fitting with the compression nut and the brass bung in the radiator (as you've mentioned,) then there should not be. That's a flared tube fitting, and if the flare or seat is damaged, or if the flare nut has been overcranked, you're going to be replacing something. I'm inclined to think it's a standard SAE 45* double flare, but I haven't looked at it in a while - and the next time I take a good look at it, I'll probably be changing it out for -5AN or -6AN connections anyhow...

5-90

The renewal kit 5-90 refers to is the same ones used on the fuel line, called a fuel line reapir kit, but also used on the auto tranny cooler lines. The O rings and spacer are on a removable throwaway plug, so they seat properly. Dealers can charge up to $25 per. I did find them online at $12.68/ a piece at http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ so at least there's an online source.

otto said:
The renewal kit 5-90 refers to is the same ones used on the fuel line, called a fuel line reapir kit, but also used on the auto tranny cooler lines. The O rings and spacer are on a removable throwaway plug, so they seat properly. Dealers can charge up to $25 per. I did find them online at $12.68/ a piece at http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ so at least there's an online source.

Hell, you're one up on me - I didn't even know they were the same part! Makes sense tho, since fuel-rated O-rings will have no trouble at all with transmission fluid...

Still, has anyone found an aftermarket source for these? I'm lucky - I get jobber at my local dealer, and pay about $12 each (but no shipping and no waiting, when I'm in a hurry...)

5-90

I'm running the "Help" brand 3/8" "O" rings and quick connects that I purchased from Advance on the fuel lines on my 90'. So far they are O.K. but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

xjtrailrider said:
I'm running the "Help" brand 3/8" "O" rings and quick connects that I purchased from Advance on the fuel lines on my 90'. So far they are O.K. but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Did this come as a kit, or did you have to assemble it? If a kit, what P/N?

And, can you report back after you've run them for, oh, six months or so?

5-90

I'll get those P/N and pm them to you tomorrow 5-90. They come as the "O" rings in one package(two 3/8" and two 5/16" and they are the "brown" rubber not butyl) and the quick connects are in another package(four 3/8" or four 5/16").

I thought I had a issue with them yesterday when I had a strong gas oder while sitting at a stoplight, but it turned out to be the grommet/"O" ring thing on the fuel pressure regulator. I stuck a "O" ring on there that I had in my box of "O" rings to get me by untill I can get to the dealer tomorrow and get the proper seal. Amazingly enough the "O" ring is holding up well.

The other fuel line "O" rings have been on for two weeks now with no issues.

OK. I just had the radiator on my 2001 XJ replaced, and now I have a slight leak at the flare fitting on the upper trans cooler line. I have tightened the nut about as tight as I think it should go. I'm down to hoping that you guys are right about there being an O-ring on this connector. Otherwise I have to spring for a new tube. Does anybody have an actual part number or O-ring size? I can see it would be real easy to make my leak a whole lot worse. Help!

Back