• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IS THIS HOLE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE?

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
1992 xj 4.0 h.o. I took off the timing chain cover and timing chain. SHould there be a hole in the block about 1in long by 1/2in high aprox. 2 in. above where the camshaft comes out to the timing chain area? I can see what looks like a pushrod, or maybe a valve stem through the hole. ANy ideas?

Yes, its just an opening for oil splash to reach the timing chain.

AARON

ive seen some engines where it looked like someone busted the block with a punch. as long as its clear and no cracking is around it you should have nothing to worrie about (pertaining to the hole)

centralmax said:
THANKS!
max

Yoou are ok. That is the rough casting of the block. Not all holes in an engine is machine out. Like said before that is a oil splash hole, there is several of them. I work at an Engine plant and see the process every day. Also your engine could of had a flaw as we call a raw material issue. This would be from the engine casting maker. But by all means I believe your engine is ok.

Back