• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brake adjuster - Problem

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have a good guide for the drum brake adjuster.
I swear Ive done these things 5x in my life now.
Mine currently look like this.
https://www.adventuresindiy.com/diy-images/jeep_drum_brake_install/parking_brake_actuating_bar.jpg

but I know it should look like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=che...4KHf_MB9cQ9QEwFHoECAgQCQ#imgrc=iWVBiw644xokTM

I can see the adjuster is sitting further into the smaller hole.
However mine will not sit here.
Any tips or guides that exist to get this thing to line up ?
I have compared to the other side and I cant seem to figure out how this works. or if I have an issue with the new shoe/ adjuster

Thanks for any information.

Your picture dose not have the cable with the spring attached to it. That is what pulls the lever up.

The thing is. That's not my picture I used it as reference.
I'll take a picture of mine. But it's not sitting correctly on the dowel

after comparing multiple pictures online-
I have discovered the routing channel that sits under the top spring.
On mine- currently is angled differently. which is causing the cable to have less tension and not pull tight enough.
Back off they come.

I have found that most of the cheap crappy Chinese drum brake parts kits do not fit or function very well. I have given up on that trash and harvest serviceable American made genuine Jeep parts from the junkyard. I have a bucket almost full of drum brake parts and mix and match until everything fits nicely. Even with this, the self-adjusters never really seem to self-adjust. Every time I rotate the tires I gave the star wheel a couple of clicks. Disk brakes are on the upgrade schedule.

the self adjuster is not really meant to adjust as you go. its there to stop the brakes from moving out of adjustment on their own.

The drum brakes on a Cherokee XJ self-adjust when you get on the brakes while traveling
in reverse.

When putting the brakes together it is imperative that the adjuster cable guide is flat against
the brake shoe. If it is only slightly out, then the pawl will not contact the ratchet wheel
on the adjuster. It is often difficult to keep the cable guide in place when doing this as
it often slips out of place. I've found that swedging (expanding) the small tube on the
cable guide a tiny bit with a few gentle taps with a punch and hammer so that it needs
to be pressed in place with moderate thumb pressure greatly helps to hold the cable
guide in place while putting all the brake bits back together.

I'm with Tim on this... I adjust every oil change... My other xj has disk and that is the way to go

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even if you have the cable, it may be the WRONG ONE. I have a Jeep that I bought and whoever did brakes previously used the wrong self adjuster cable so I just do it manually.

Back