• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Renix XJ Died while Driving-- 30amp Breaker?

Well before sending her to my mechanic for help, which fortunately is right next to my work, I'm going to replace the coil. NAPA has one coming in around 12:00. It's too far for me to pay towing home. I pulled the coil and tested the two posts and got a reading of 1.35 ohms. I then tested the secondary from the plug where it goes to the distributor against each post individually and got a reading consistently of 4.35 ohms. From what I have read this would be a low reading? Any chance this coil went bad? Either way it's getting replaced.

Well thank god for good mechanics, that you can trust. He fixed it with a new ignition module. It's hard to beat experience. Thanks for all the help on this. As always I learn the most when I'm tracking down a problem. Feel much more knowledgable and confident looking under the hood now.

Thanks,

Congrats on the fix! The bad ignition module must have been backfeeding through the ignition switch and into the 30 amp relay circuit to mess with it. Whatever the reason, being fixed is always good.

Hope springs eternal! Enjoy your "new XJ"!

Best regards,

CJR

Back