• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark till after 2-3 attempts to start...

heatlocke

NAXJA Forum User
96 Cherokee sport 4X4 Auto with 4.0 HO
Turn key to ON position and ASD and fuel pump relays will energize for a few seconds then turn off. (I assume this is normal till the engine actually turns over). Attempt to start and engine will turn over and NO voltage at coil terminal and no spark. Repeat this several times with same results. At 3rd or 4th attempt coil will get 12vdc and engine will start and run flawless thruout the day. Most everytime you shut it down this procedure must be repeated. Actual cranking the engine is not necessary but you must turn the key off-on 2-3 times to get spark to start, but this WILL work every time. This is an an ignition problem for sure and not fuel related. Of course the first thing I replaced was the CPS with no change to the problem. All terminals and connections have been checked for corrosion, broken wires, est. The only code it throws is a NSS issue. (It has been able to start in gear for years) Haven`t bought any new relays but have swapped them all around with out any differant results. It is a central Fla. Jeep without any rust or corrosion issues. After relentlessly searching these forums I really don`t know how to proceed from here. All suggestions will be tried. Thanks

Back