• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with holes in a block

VAwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj sport in which I am in the process of rebuilding the motor. I am looking for information on what sensors go where in the block. There are several threaded holes the block that are filled with plugs but there are a few left that are for some kind of sensors.....I am guessing they are oil pressure, water temp(?), and maybe some other things. I have the Haynes manual (POS) and I have also baught the Service manual from Jeep. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where to look in the service manual so that I can find out what sensors go in what holes/ And even what the sensors are.

Thanks in advance.

You didn't say which motor you have or what tranny. Assuming it's a 4.0/Auto you have a Knock sensor on the driver side mid way back and just above the oil pan. Your oil sensor is attached to the oil filter housing. Water temp is on top of head driver side, back corner.

I am not stroking it just rebuilding it. However it is bored out 0.060". I have looked through the service manual again today and I see where there is a coolant temp sensor that is on the drivers side Just above the oil pan. But the FSM also shows another coolant temp sensor that goes into the intake manifold. The FSM does show a knock sensor that goes into the block but doesn't specify where.

I am very disapointed in the lact of detail in the FSM...or maybe I am just a dumba$$.

Check out this pic of my 90's motor just before I dropped it in. The sensor with the pig tail hanging off of it is the CTS(coolant temp sensor), just above the oil pan in the middle of the block is the Knock Sensor(it has a FI type connector).

The temp sensor at the rear of the intake is for the gauge only. Leave that one out untill you fill it with coolant, when it runs out that hole then put the sensor in and you should be burped good.

engine2wb9.jpg

There will be a water temp sensor on the driver's side of the head as well for fuel mixture purposes. The temp sensor on the top of the head in the back is for the temp gauge.

Blaine B. said:
There will be a water temp sensor on the driver's side of the head as well for fuel mixture purposes. The temp sensor on the top of the head in the back is for the temp gauge.

Well not to argue but I have only found 3 on a RENIX, one in the rad. for the fan control, one in the block(CTS)for the computer, and at the rear of the head for the gauge.

There is a MAT(manifold air temp aka air charge temp) in the intake near the master cylinder.

xjtrailrider said:
Check out this pic of my 90's motor just before I dropped it in. The sensor with the pig tail hanging off of it is the CTS(coolant temp sensor), just above the oil pan in the middle of the block is the Knock Sensor(it has a FI type connector).

The temp sensor at the rear of the intake is for the gauge only. Leave that one out untill you fill it with coolant, when it runs out that hole then put the sensor in and you should be burped good.

engine2wb9.jpg

Thanks for the picure. That helps alot.

One other thing from the pic. The shiney thing just above the oil pan in the center. What is that? I have a sensor there that has two "prongs" coming from it. If I understand you right. That is the Knock sensor.

Thanks everyone so far for thier help.:clap:

VAwheeler said:
Thanks for the picure. That helps alot.

One other thing from the pic. The shiney thing just above the oil pan in the center. What is that? I have a sensor there that has two "prongs" coming from it. If I understand you right. That is the Knock sensor.

Thanks everyone so far for thier help.:clap:

10-4 on the knock sensor, it has a fuel injector type of a connector. The one shown is the new version from GP, the stocker looks different. Torque on the Knock Sensor is critical for proper operation, but if you run good gas you really do not need it unless it is knocking alot.

Back