• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement for 2000 XJ sport coil-on-plug?

jeepfanz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting to get a real rough idle at startup and almost anytime I'm sitting at a stop. This XJ has about 130K on the clock, and the plugs looked good when replaced at about 110K. If this was a "normal" engine ignition system I'd have replaced the plug wires too, but this engine has the coil-on-plug ignition rail.

Does anyone know what the expected lifetime of this system is? and what alternative to replacement with the standard Mopar part is there?

Thanks!

20k is when you are supposed to change plugs.......130-110=20.

The expected lifetime is "until it breaks" The plugs will tell the tale of wether or not it is functioning properly.

No, you can get them from NAPA and AZ too I think.....

OH, and do not use platinum plugs/ multiple spark path plugs. The 4.0 ignition was designed with a certain plug in mind and that Champion plug just happens to work the best. (I had Platinum +4 plugs in at one time and thought i was pampering my rig, 15,000 miles later I had cold start problems and rough idle. A set of cheap plugs cured that mess)

Yeah, I've been using Chanpion Truck plugs in there (forget the number off the top of my head). Guess I'll have to throw a new set in.

I'm afraid to see what napa whants for a new rail ...

those rails are over $100....

jeepfanz said:
I'm starting to get a real rough idle at startup and almost anytime I'm sitting at a stop. This XJ has about 130K on the clock, and the plugs looked good when replaced at about 110K. If this was a "normal" engine ignition system I'd have replaced the plug wires too, but this engine has the coil-on-plug ignition rail.

Does anyone know what the expected lifetime of this system is? and what alternative to replacement with the standard Mopar part is there?

Thanks!

plugs dont have much to do with high idle.

clean the IAC on the throttle body and check for vacuum leaks

Replace the ignition rail only when it is broken. Spark plug life on a 2000 or 2001 is about 15-20,000 miles. If you get any backfire through the intake on startup you need new plugs. Get the plugs called out on the white tag on the firewall or whatever the dealership gives you. Platinum and Splitfire type plugs are a waste on the 4.0 and can cause poor performance.

Clean the IAC and run a can or two of injector cleaner through the system. Repeat the inj cleaner every 6 months.

I guess I better replace the plugs on my 2000. They have about 75K miles on them, replaced them with 50K on the odometer and they still looked good. I figured with the hotter spark the plugs would last longer...

the list of work to do just keeps growing...

Back