• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back in the saddle

sixditchoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Let's see, I've been a user since 2005, two xj's a 94 and a 99 came and gone, life happened, got busy and I forgot about the good times... I recently moved from Mobile, AL to Denver (off Tennyson). I travel for work as an insurance adjuster and am currently in Chapel Hill, NC.

A few days ago a nice little 96 2-door with 146k caught my eye on craigslist and I bought it. Needless to say i've been bitten again.

I'll be headed back to denver with my new toy Jan 5th. I have immediate plans to ditch the 35c and found a hp 8.25 and some cherokee 44's on denver craigslist...

You'll be seeing more of me.

Pleased to meet ya.

-Skip

Welcome to the chapter, but I don't think there is a such thing as a HP 8.25 rear axle. Do you have multiple XJ rear D44's?

I saw a stock open carrier w/ 3.54 gears and no brakes in Longmont for $850 firm. Do NOT waste your money on that. Way too much money fir that axle. Grab a 29 spline 8.25 or Explorer 8.8 out of the junk yard before you give that tool money.

I saw a stock open carrier w/ 3.54 gears and no brakes in Longmont for $850 firm. Do NOT waste your money on that. Way too much money fir that axle. Grab a 29 spline 8.25 or Explorer 8.8 out of the junk yard before you give that tool money.

I seen that too. Haha. Fella is selling a hp30 and 8.8 with 4:10s for $800, If he still has it when I get back, I’ll grab them both. Said he went to 1tons. Got an appointment with discount tire for the 35s (cooper stt pros) next week.

I don’t think you’ll be happy with 4.10’s and 35’s. I’m running 4.88’s with 35’s and would still like more gearing. It works well enough though and to me the XJ isn’t worth spending the money on bigger axles or an Atlas. I’m running a trussed HP D30 up front and an 8.25 out back.

Other than the matches gears I don’t see why you’re buying another D30. Your rig should already have a non-disconnect HP 30 under the front.

I still don’t think you’ll like 4.10s and 35s. I ran 35s and 3.73s on my TJ for awhile and it was a dog. That’s not much different. I have 4.88s and think it’s about right. I have the 4.0 and NV3550 transmission.

I still don’t think you’ll like 4.10s and 35s. I ran 35s and 3.73s on my TJ for awhile and it was a dog. That’s not much different. I have 4.88s and think it’s about right. I have the 4.0 and NV3550 transmission.
If not, I'll re-gear it. The price is right and the 8.8 is ready to bolt in. You know how builds go in the begining.. never fully satisfied.

I don’t think you’ll be happy with 4.10’s and 35’s. I’m running 4.88’s with 35’s and would still like more gearing. It works well enough though and to me the XJ isn’t worth spending the money on bigger axles or an Atlas. I’m running a trussed HP D30 up front and an 8.25 out back.

Other than the matches gears I don’t see why you’re buying another D30. Your rig should already have a non-disconnect HP 30 under the front.

You're right, just matching gears. The price is right and the cost is a bit lower than re-gearing plus the spare parts, is what I was thinking. I'm sure there's better ways. I need all the help and advise I can get.

Tires are on, fenders are getting trimmed tonight.

Since I'm still out of town, I'll be doing the work in a empty parking lot with a buddy. I tested the power inverter last night making a few cuts with the 3" cut off wheel, it works and doesn't trip under load.

Before shot
PA6OmHy.jpg

Before shot
guydOa1.jpg

Tire
AXBNCl8.jpg

Cooper STT Pro35x12.50's with 4.5" short arm
gojumYe.jpg

HbkHamk.jpg

Back