• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project first timer

Am I seeing it wrong, are you missing the jam nut? The hex piece looks like it’s the hex head inserts.

Am I seeing it wrong, are you missing the jam nut? The hex piece looks like it’s the hex head inserts.
All the jam nuts are there lol. I just took random pics as I was tearing stuff apart and test fitting. I didn't take any final close up pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Welp it's been awhile since I've been on here, life has been busy. Unfortunately, we are no longer in Colorado but we miss it everyday. Nevertheless, life goes on and so does the Jeep build; however with minor changes.

My wife and I were blessed with our first child right before the pandemic (true covid baby the docs say lol). A couple months before little man was born, our stint in Colorado came to an end and we packed our belongs and moved across the country to Florida. Due to the addition to the family the build is going to take a slightly different trajectory i.e. I need to make it more comfortable and handle better off and on road. My goal with this build was to drive it to difficult trails wheel "hard" (relative) and make it home. In a sense I've done that, but now the trails are just much further. At some point I will get a tow rig but I enjoy the idea of piling everyone into the Jeep and just going. Likewise, I want to make it look good again (paint, interior etc), the salty air and constant humidity is having it's toll on any exposed metal.

The first thing I need to figure out, however, is my transmission. When the Jeep is running at operating temperature for awhile it doesn't want to go into gear. I'm not sure if it's a bearing (pilot, input/output), synchros or fluid issue. Glutch is engaging fine. Once it's not 110 outside I'll drop the transmission and poke around until I figure something out. It's due for a service anyhow.

With that being said, the Jeep has been tinkered with since I've been here (prior to transmission issue). I swapped the leafs, added rear frame stiffeners, and built a hitch for the bumper. I also bought the Rusty's steel fenders and they are hopefully being fabricated as I type this. I've been putting fenders off for years but now that I'm constantly in wet conditions, I bit the bullet.

Lastly, I did drive the Jeep up to NC and met with some military buddies this time last year. We camped and explored the Pisgah NF area for a week and had an amazing time.
cb1ca540329dc2aa19c9d4870d027bce.jpg
9b47bfdc2a2a9dc3c57eb55a1b10993c.jpg
d8c0950979dfca6d6449b62f117a9057.jpg
a37db1f6fa5675e56675e4833125441a.jpg
0652d29e38a0d5bd5894437e1588e86c.jpg
bf7a0b51783e28847fdacc2bafdefa93.jpg
7d6c16f59ae1cb9bfbb5e02698e7842d.jpg
379419f45c947da63d3ac6428e208e4a.jpg

Welp I've been busy with the little one and life so I havent been on much but I've been working on the Jeep a lot trying to get it right after sitting. The list of things done in the past couple weeks include:

02 sensors (upstream was shot)
TPS
Axle shafts for the 8.8 (c clip fell out)
Brake caliper
*Started removing rear interior in prep for shock hoops*
Rusty's steel fender flares

Interesting enough when my c clip fell out I was driving down the highway and my caliper was the only thing keeping the axle in the housing (not knowing that until I limped it home in 4hi to find everything was off center). With the locker in the rear I had to partially take apart the carrier in order to put the new shafts in. When putting the new axle in it was definitely tighter so I'm sure the splines got a little eaten up but it went it in nonetheless. All the gears looked it really good shape despite the c clip getting eaten up ha.

Driving it yesterday I have a small clunking noise in the rear end. Very slight and only at slow speeds. Though I didn't mess with the backlash at all, it seems to be slightly off. My initial inspection of the u joints seem to be fine and it's definitely not a t case issue. What do y'all think? I don't want to have rebuild the rear end, it's expensive to fix haha.

If there's typos or issues with this post, it's 6am and working on very little sleep 🙃
eaecb775e4e361afcdf76c2f6c2606dc.jpg
e081800270443d09039fde60941bc7e6.jpg
30c40972aca9a941d25c009f32d3155b.jpg
53edfae88a57ff17f4fa46de051f9055.jpg

Back