• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comp Cams EXTREME 4X4 kit?

opsjunkie93

NAXJA Forum User
So Im starting a long overdue overhaul on my 4.0 liter today.. And am wondering if anyone has any insight on, or has installed the extreme 4x4 kit from comp cams. Since My motor will already be torn apart I'm taking this oppurtunity to make a few upgrades and hopefully squeeze out some more low end grunt... However I've heard some mixed reviews and not sure I want to shell out the ponies. It be nice to here from someone who has actually installed this kit in an XJ..

dont know about the kit, but are you going to stroke it or use the stock 4.0 crank?

may want to do a search for stroker.

may want to clear your schedule for a week, sign up over at jeep strokers (theres a bunch of stroker threads here as well, checkout street/performance, or even here in mod tech) just keep reading, its an intimidating subject thats best left to people who can do the research needed, instead of making simple threads like this that completely gloss over crucial details.

its been done a million times, by a million ingenius rednecks (say that with pride). but its not a simple thing, read up! read up! READ UP! if im talking down to you, its because your post seems like a blind stab at performance.

I guess I missed the part where the OP asked about a stroker.
I thought he was just asking for opinions on a cam kit.

Welcome to NAXJA... Learn something while you're here.

Stroking can be cheap and effective. If he's doing a rebuild(which it looks like he is in his post.) Stroking should be proposed and researched to see if it's right for him.

IMHO there's not enough potential gain from only a cam swap to make the expense worthwhile. Maybe if you included some extensive head work from someone who really knows jeep heads. Also maybe a bored throttle body and good exhaust. In the end though, I don't think the gains would be worth the cost. Now if you do the cam as part of a well planned stroker build then that's different.

I guess I missed the part where the OP asked about a stroker.
I thought he was just asking for opinions on a cam kit.

true, but in his own words,

"My motor will already be torn apart I'm taking this oppurtunity to make a few upgrades and hopefully squeeze out some more low end grunt... "

if you are doing an overhaul, gut get a 10/10 258 crank and rods, deck the block a little, go 30-40 over and throw that cam in.

i am running the 231 cam, with Crower cam-saver lifters, GM performance beehive springs to match the cam specs (and machined head to match the springs)

more low end grunt then i could want

don't waste your time and money on the high flow oil pump, just get the melling stock replacement.

Back