• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damaged Over Built 8.25

Skipper51

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A rear '99 XJChrysler 8.25. It has 4.88 gears with a 29 spline ARB, 29 spline Alloy and 29 spline Yukon chromoly shafts, Solid diff cover, IRO truss, raised shock mounts, diff skid with integrated traction bar mounts, slip and twist traction bar.
Dr. Smash in Carson City built the traction bar as a one-off. He likes the traction bar to have a front mount near the pinion yoke, so he makes skids to give him a mount in that area.
The pinion gear needs to be replaced which you would need to do anyway to change the gearing.
It's really nice peace of mind, and the traction bar works great.

Last edited:
I damaged and I am replacing my 8.25 with a Ford 8.8.
Does anyone want a trusted, sleeved, 8.25 with disc breaks? Gears and ARB have some issues. It is geared to 4.88 and comes with e-break cables and SOLID diff cover. Shoot me an offer. :scottm:

The ARB and Gears are damaged so let's call this a bare axle in that regards. So what we have is a Chy 8.28, trusted, sleaved, chromo axles, disc breaks with e-break cable, SOLID diff cover and I have 4 heavy duty U-Blots from Rough Stuff that are a month old. A grand in T and M or BO

I don't really know exactly what was wrong with the gears and ARB but Tyler at Geared Up said that the pinion had chipped teeth and the ARB had some damage. He does not rebuild or fix ARB's so his answer was just to replace it and the pinion and bearings. This told me that moving on would be a better idea in the long run. I believe, but don't know for a fact, that the ARB can be saved (see the video of it working after the axle was replaced) and repaired.

Tyler said that it most likely happened when the axle "blew up" on the Rubicon.

The axle blew up, was replaced, I drove back to Nevada City, down to Hermit Valley, wheeled Deer Valley and Slick Rock then drove back to Nevada City. Someone, I hope, will want it and rebuild it then wheel it some more as it has good bones and a repairable ABR. We will see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHERwY_Mj64

Not too surprised that there were some chipped teeth, even though I don't recall you finding any in the gear oil (?).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the ARB. I didn't see anything wrong with it when I was in there and your video shows it is in perfect working condition. You should be able to sell the ARB.

Yes, I am thinking that same thing after thinking about it again.. When WFO is done with the installation I will repost it as a working ABR axle out of the Jeep ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back