• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's going on with my leafsprings?

Four2score

NAXJA Forum User
R/E, about a year old, and I just noticed what looks like the bottom two leafs are sliding.

Is this normal?

Why is this happening?

What should I do about it?

Thanks in advance!

1Front.jpg

1Back-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Doesn't look like you have a center pin anymore, so if not get one.

Your u-bolts may have stretch and loosened the pack alittle so you might need to replace them or re-tighten them.

As 94xjstud posted.... the U bolts have probably loosened up....
When you install a new set of leafsprings with new U bolts you need to recheck the torque on the bolts several times over the following months to ensure the nuts stay torqued to 55 ft lbs. This problem can reoccur when you flex out the Jeep so you should recheck the torque of the bolts periodically.
Several years ago I had a similar problem and discovered that the U bolts were no longer torqued to spec; retorqueing the nuts cure the problem.

Thanks guys!

Yeah I just got back from a Jeep run and did some major flexing. Pins are still there, they just seem to be moving sideways at the front and back.

I didn't know about retorquing.

I'll do that.

Thanks again!

You can also get straps from parts store and clamp them around the leaf in the back to help limit the left to right movement. My RE leafs do the same thing and they are only about 3000 miles old.

You can also get straps from parts store and clamp them around the leaf in the back to help limit the left to right movement. My RE leafs do the same thing and they are only about 3000 miles old.

Installing an additional set of clamps could hinder the operation of the leafs when flexing the Jeeps suspension.

Installing an additional set of clamps could hinder the operation of the leafs when flexing the Jeeps suspension.

That certainly could be the case, sure. I recall when I got my AAL kit for my 1985, those additional clamps were a part of the kit....

That is what I was basing my answer on.

Back