• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting power steering pump to AN fittings?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
As part of this stroker build (and really, a full rebuild of my XJ in the end), I'd really like to convert both the transmission and steering systems to -6AN or -8AN fittings and lines. Transmission fittings are well-documented (M14x1.5), the steering gear is simple enough (M16 and M18), and the pressure outlet on the pump is easy as well (M16 too, I think?)... but the return/low-pressure port (where the reservoir normally sits) is non-threaded, and measures either 19mm or 3/4".

Has anyone done this to their rig? And if so, did you tap the low-pressure port in the housing, weld on a fitting, or did you manage to find a press-in fitting? The latter seems like it'd be more than adequate given the total lack of operating pressure, but I'm having little luck finding press-in fittings beyond this guy:

http://www.radiumauto.com/10AN-Male-Bungs-Press-In-and-Weld-In-P940.aspx

...unfortunately, its -10AN, and the smooth end is only 16.6mm in diameter.

Thoughts?

It sounds like you should call up PSC and buy a high pressure pump that's already setup for AN. ;)

Bah. Too expensive at this point. I've gone a little overboard with this rebuild and really, really need to start watching the bottom line.

I've had the fortune of meeting and old-school machinist/welder near my house, so I may just get a weld-on bung and pay him to TIG it on for me.

Bah. Too expensive at this point. I've gone a little overboard with this rebuild and really, really need to start watching the bottom line.

I've had the fortune of meeting and old-school machinist/welder near my house, so I may just get a weld-on bung and pay him to TIG it on for me.

The issue I see if that is it's a custom part and when you're 500+ miles away from home and your power steering pump craps the bed (They all do) you're going to be scrambling to find a replacement. So I'd have your welder friend make two pumps so you can have a spare, because now you can't run to your local parts house and grab a replacement.

The issue I see if that is it's a custom part and when you're 500+ miles away from home and your power steering pump craps the bed (They all do) you're going to be scrambling to find a replacement. So I'd have your welder friend make two pumps so you can have a spare, because now you can't run to your local parts house and grab a replacement.
Honestly, I've considered that... But in my good fortune (between maintenance and caution on the trail), issues have been exceedingly rare. Also, given that there will be auxiliary coolers in both circuits (transmission and steering), I'd have *some* flexibility when it comes to field repairs depending upon line length, placement, and so on. Power steering pumps are decently easy to rebuild, and barring an absolutely catastrophic failure, I can't imagine it'd be too terrible to do out in BFE.

Good call, though. Always wise words.

As part of this stroker build (and really, a full rebuild of my XJ in the end), I'd really like to convert both the transmission and steering systems to -6AN or -8AN fittings and lines. Transmission fittings are well-documented (M14x1.5), the steering gear is simple enough (M16 and M18), and the pressure outlet on the pump is easy as well (M16 too, I think?)... but the return/low-pressure port (where the reservoir normally sits) is non-threaded, and measures either 19mm or 3/4".

Has anyone done this to their rig? And if so, did you tap the low-pressure port in the housing, weld on a fitting, or did you manage to find a press-in fitting? The latter seems like it'd be more than adequate given the total lack of operating pressure, but I'm having little luck finding press-in fittings beyond this guy:

Thoughts?
I did it, I'll send pics when I get a chance. There are press-in fittings made specifically for power steering. I don't thiknk they're earls.. I'll dig up where I got them from. But it works fine-- nary a drip, and I replace high and low pressure side. Did the swap more than a year ago.

I did it, I'll send pics when I get a chance. There are press-in fittings made specifically for power steering. I don't thiknk they're earls.. I'll dig up where I got them from. But it works fine-- nary a drip, and I replace high and low pressure side. Did the swap more than a year ago.
That'd be awesome man, thank you!

Thoughts?

I measured the taper and found it too steep of an angle to work as a press fit. I machined a 5/8" steel hose barb and TIG welded using silicon bronze filler followed by peening with a needle gun. It held but I found between the barb length and hose bend radius that there wasn't much net gain so I cut the barb off and welded at an angle 20 degrees. That seems to work well.

I used a Morroso PS reservoir which has 10AN on the bottom, and a 6AN on the return.
On the bottom I used a 90* with a pushlock fitting, then #10 pushlock hose to go to pump. Then used an "O" Ring fitting to 6AN on the power steering gear to the return on the reservoir.

img_1993_5c0daea0d81c22003d9a01c0880c354127bd8d18.jpg

These are the press-in fittings I used for high-pressure side-- EDIT -- you want Russell 620401-- those are the hose ends. I believe they're called "powerflex". The pic is for the connector.
30wbg2w.jpg

For low-pressure side, you can use standard earl press in

Here's the filter I used --- It's designed I believe for marine power steering, for use on the hi-pressure side, I put it on lo side:
ambcp4.jpg

I also found this filter … I forget where.. with integrated -an fittings, but strictly for lo side:
33c2pnr.jpg

here's the install:
2u3zfib.jpg

On the reservoir hi side, I used an -an fitting on the hose, and an -an adapter-- Russell has them... I forget which one I used, but it remember it was trivial to fine. On the low side I cheesed out and used a hose clamp.

1z4ve6s.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting solutions - thanks for all the details and pics, guys! I guess my plan deviates from what y'all did in one major way: I'm planning to use a remote reservoir to eliminate the reservoir from the pump, and am struggling with an AN fitting for the pump inlet/return (the smooth 19mm or 3/4" bore where the reservoir normally seats).

This is teaching me a ton about -AN fittings as a result, which I guess is a good thing?

Regarding flow and hose diameter, I'm seeing a mix of -6AN through -10AN in you guys' solutions. I'm guessing lines as small as -6AN would be adequate for both the low- and high-pressure lines, as stock is something like 3/8", right?

Given that I was already looking at PSC's remote reservoir (which is $175), the idiot in me is strongly considering just dropping another $325 on their whole XD Pump Kit... Or simply buying their offered reservoir and pump (likely this one with -8AN/-12AN fittings) and piecing the rest of the kit together to my liking. This route would also lay the ground work for hydro assist down the road if (when?) I go past 32's.

At this point, I'd like to know how they fitted the return/low-pressure fitting to the pump above, though. I'm pretty certain they just tapped the housing, but I might give them a call.

Interesting solutions - thanks for all the details and pics, guys! I guess my plan deviates from what y'all did in one major way: I'm planning to use a remote reservoir to eliminate the reservoir from the pump, and am struggling with an AN fitting for the pump inlet/return (the smooth 19mm or 3/4" bore where the reservoir normally seats).

This is teaching me a ton about -AN fittings as a result, which I guess is a good thing?

Regarding flow and hose diameter, I'm seeing a mix of -6AN through -10AN in you guys' solutions. I'm guessing lines as small as -6AN would be adequate for both the low- and high-pressure lines, as stock is something like 3/8", right?

Given that I was already looking at PSC's remote reservoir (which is $175), the idiot in me is strongly considering just dropping another $325 on their whole XD Pump Kit... Or simply buying their offered reservoir and pump (likely this one with -8AN/-12AN fittings) and piecing the rest of the kit together to my liking. This route would also lay the ground work for hydro assist down the road if (when?) I go past 32's.

At this point, I'd like to know how they fitted the return/low-pressure fitting to the pump above, though. I'm pretty certain they just tapped the housing, but I might give them a call.

I think you might find -6 for a low pressure feed to be too small and cause cavitation. We ran -10 on our system and 'experts' kept telling us that we should be -12. I can't say that we ever had a problem with 10, but I have a strong feeling that 6 would have been an issue.

I think you might find -6 for a low pressure feed to be too small and cause cavitation. We ran -10 on our system and 'experts' kept telling us that we should be -12. I can't say that we ever had a problem with 10, but I have a strong feeling that 6 would have been an issue.

I'm running a -6 return out of the box, through a -6 oil cooler and back to the pump. So far running a PSC big bore box and a 2.5x10" full hydro ram (setup as an assist), I haven't had any issue. :kissyou:

I'm running a -6 return out of the box, through a -6 oil cooler and back to the pump. So far running a PSC big bore box and a 2.5x10" full hydro ram (setup as an assist), I haven't had any issue. :kissyou:

What are you running from the reservoir to the pump?

I mean, don't let me stop you from buying PSC stuff, but I'm not sure *why* you would do that. The factory parts seem to work fine, and as a bonus, you can get a new line, box, or pump at the parts store in almost any town if it really comes down to it... a new pressure line for my 98 appears to cost a princely $18 at autozone, $6.70 from rockauto if I can wait for shipping. Why walk away from that kind of cheap service parts availability unless you're blowing up power steering hoses regularly?

I think I would put that money in the stroker, axle parts, driveshafts, or tire budget, honestly.

I mean, don't let me stop you from buying PSC stuff, but I'm not sure *why* you would do that. The factory parts seem to work fine, and as a bonus, you can get a new line, box, or pump at the parts store in almost any town if it really comes down to it... a new pressure line for my 98 appears to cost a princely $18 at autozone, $6.70 from rockauto if I can wait for shipping. Why walk away from that kind of cheap service parts availability unless you're blowing up power steering hoses regularly?

I think I would put that money in the stroker, axle parts, driveshafts, or tire budget, honestly.
High-pressure lines were seemingly an annual replacement piece (they'd always start leaking at the crimped metal/rubber unions), and I was going through pumps at a pretty similar cadence (again, leaking, either from the shaft or the reservoir). I always dreaded pump replacement the most - I'd end up exchanging at least one every single f!@#ing time because not a single parts house sells a decent pump, and the first replacement each time seemingly always leaked. I'm hedging my bets on a PSC pump being of higher quality so I can hopefully make it at least a couple years before springing a leak, and when I do, I hope the overall manufacturing quality will be great enough that it's worth simply rebuilding.

Plus, you know... AN lines are pretty.

I've had this thing for a decade at this point and really want to have fun with the build. Not much justification beyond that. I'll be installing my own gears in the next 6 months (the Powertrax Grip Pro has really caught my eye for some reason), and I'll likely throw a set of RCV's into my HP30 when I finally install the damn thing.

I've been lucky enough that budget really isn't a huge concern right now... Either that, or the E39 M5 I bought about 18 months ago has desensitized me to the price of a good/fun build.

Back