• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to properly install a Torque Converter/Pump Ring Bushing?

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! Can anybody tell me how to properly install a Torque Converter/Pump Ring Bushing? (pic below) I have the TC removed and I am wondering if it goes onto the TC shaft and then I slide the whole torque converter onto the trans input shaft. It seems the ring just barely pushes through the front oil seal on the trans. Or does the ring get intalled first into the trans pump and then the oil seal after that followed by the torque converter last?

If it is installed onto the TC shaft before it is installed what is the height measurement on the shaft to which I install it? (the ring below is being replaced with a new one on install)

you have to remove the pump, disassemble it, and use the special tool to install.

they mushroom very easily

When I pulled out my TC this came off with the converter stuck to the shaft. A couple of weeks ago I was able to install the TC with this on the shaft, it slipped through the trans seal after being lubed up real good. It is literally a collar for the Torque converter shaft and I wouldn't think that I would have to unbolt and remove the pump.

It's supposed to be pressed into the housing behind the seal, not stuck onto the torque converter neck. The fact that it stuck on the torque converter neck indicates you have a problem - namely, that the bushing is toast.

edit: checking section 21 of my 96 FSM, page 238 shows disassembly/assembly of the pump. This is either the pump body bushing or the stator shaft bushing, I'm not entirely sure given the cursory reading I did. The page number might be different for your year FSM but it's somewhere in that section, toward the end.

Last edited:
It is literally a collar for the Torque converter shaft

Ummm yeah, no.. That is a torque converter bushing. As kastien points out, it is supposed to be pressed into the pump housing. It supports the converter as it spins. If the bushing is allowed to spin inside the pump, which, by the looks of the old bushing, it did, it ruins the pump housing.

Thanks guys. I was able to install a new bushing from the front of the transmission carefully tapping it in with a hammer and a wood block I cut custom for the job. The first half of the bushing slide into place and the rest of the way had to be tapped in to seat flush with the pump housing. Then I followed this up with another new front fluid seal install to complete the job. I did a test fit of the new ring bushing and it fit perfectly over the new TC before install. It slid on like a collar and off just as easy. No binding like my old TC and bushing that were seized together. New TC and trans seem to be running great. Time will tell if all this effort and new parts cleared my codes and solved the problems.

Kastein and Digger87xj, I reposted this in this thread so I made sure to thank you both for helping me out!

Last night I had a good friend hook up a $4,000 Snap-On scanner and made sure all my codes were cleared from the computer and then I continued to drive the Jeep in 3rd (for certainty) right up to the point of the Smog station today. On my 4th attempt to Smog in about three weeks the Jeep PASSED! Afterwards I put the Jeep in OD and headed down the freeway to work at 60+ mph, so far no CEL. As of right now my conclusions are that the Jeep is running great and the computer checks out as cleared and ready.

Thanks to Jlanesey for his help! Also, I need to extend a special thank you to Kastein and Digger87 who were also a huge help in the early diagnosis and knowledge of the transmission. Much appreciated and I learned a ton!

With over 215,000 miles on my other XJ, yr 92 (photo below) I am thinking about rebuilding the transmission here in a similar fashion.

You're welcome, glad it's running/driving/passing :thumbup:

Back