• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need reverse lights for inspection..How can I bypass nss for lights to work

JSwamper

NAXJA Forum User
98,auto,
I know my NSS is starting to act up, cause sometimes I have to put it in Neutral for it to start.

Is there a way I can get my reverse lights to work when I put it in reverse, without having to buy a new NSS.

I know some of you will say clean it out, but i've tried 3 times and that thing is NOT coming off.

If it's not coming off to clean it, how will you put a new one on ?

Do like I did, have a new one handy, and get the old one off and clean it. That way, if you break the old one, you put the new one on. If it don't break, clean it, re-install it, and return the new one.

98,auto,
I know my NSS is starting to act up, cause sometimes I have to put it in Neutral for it to start.

Is there a way I can get my reverse lights to work when I put it in reverse, without having to buy a new NSS.

I know some of you will say clean it out, but i've tried 3 times and that thing is NOT coming off.

I've covered the simple way to remove the thing time and again here - see if you can't find it (there are a number of copies extant, I'm sure.)

Also, I've recommended tools that make the job of removal much easier (hint: it's a medical tool, not a mechanical tool. At least, the medical version is easier to find.)

Just clean the thing. It's better all around (although the reverse lamps may still be working properly, and it's just the Park circuit that is flaky. There's a reason I do my own inspections every six months or so - and part of that inspection is light function.)

Mine turned out to be a bent male pin in the male / female connector near the oil dip stick, from the prior screw up that replaced the NSS, and did not line up the connectors male/female pins evenly.

Once you understand how the special lock nut is installed, it is a piece of cake to remove the NSS. Rock auto had the Renix NSS for about $27 recently, not sure if the later year NSS changed?

Here's the link on how to remove and clean. I'd def try this before buying a new one ($$$). I just did this to mine. My reverse lights hadn't worked for awhile and the other day I couldn't get it started. Did this and now I'm back in working order.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Fix/repair the NSS. It is not difficult.

Or move to Florida. There is not vehicle inspection here.

Back