• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine cuts out at highway speeds on a hot day

...... it was cutting out only 1 minute after I turned the vehicle on. I had left my driveway and got onto the main road and was accelerating; then the engine choked in/out a few times.

Just about the time the PCM was likely changing from open loop to closed loop, and collecting data from the OBD engine sensors.

Cutting out suggests a faulty OBD engine sensor, or wire harness/wire plug faults. The fuel pump either has the correct pressure, or not.

Just about the time the PCM was likely changing from open loop to closed loop, and collecting data from the OBD engine sensors.

Cutting out suggests a faulty OBD engine sensor, or wire harness/wire plug faults. The fuel pump either has the correct pressure, or not.

Wouldn't a faulty OBD engine sensor spit out a code? How many of these engine sensors are there and what are their functions?

I have shut the tailgate on a blanket before. It took me about 20 minutes to get the gate open again and I was swearing the whole time.

Wouldn't a faulty OBD engine sensor spit out a code? How many of these engine sensors are there and what are their functions?

I have shut the tailgate on a blanket before. It took me about 20 minutes to get the gate open again and I was swearing the whole time.

It depends on the sensor and possibly very itermittent mal-function or sensor variation will not trigger a permanent code.

The OBD sensors can often be far enough out of specification, or intermittently faulty enough to cause driveability issues, yet not set hard trouble codes.

ODB-II live data should show any discrepancies, or just replace any suspected weak sensors and call it preventative maintenance. I would rather replace parts in my garage on my own time than be stalled on the side of a dark road in the snow or rain and having to diagnose and replace a faulty sensor.

The OBD sensors can often be far enough out of specification, or intermittently faulty enough to cause driveability issues, yet not set hard trouble codes.

ODB-II live data should show any discrepancies, or just replace any suspected weak sensors and call it preventative maintenance. I would rather replace parts in my garage on my own time than be stalled on the side of a dark road in the snow or rain and having to diagnose and replace a faulty sensor.
I've driven so many hours with that OBDII meter installed, but the darn thing wouldn't sputter. It happens only a few times per year. Will the OBDII live data log a sputter like this, or will it just display it for a moment, then the error goes away?

Which sensors should I replace? CPS done already, and two O2 sensors. What's the next few likely candidates?

Back