• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Photo of Moog and Proforged tie rod ends

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone is interested, here is a photo comparison of a Moog and a Proforged tie rod end for the XJ steering. I was interested in the Proforged because of the e-coating and the claim of high quality. Sorry I haven't removed the Proforged from its sealed bag because I am likely to be returning it. The ball joint area is much larger diameter for the Moog. I measured 1.85" diameter housing for the Moog and 1.6" diameter housing for the Proforged. I'm much less interested in the Proforged because of this, but I will likely call Proforged on Monday to hear what they have to say.

The products otherwise are very similar, although for some reason, the neck on the Moog ES3096L which attaches to the pitman arm appears to be more wimpy than Moog tie rod ends that attach to the actual tie rod. Seems rather odd considering it potentially has to take a higher load than the other tie rod ends.

https://se30.dyndns.org:8080/XJ/Proforged_vs_Moog_tie_rod_ends.jpg

Moogs have a reputation for being larger, expanding the knuckles and then leaving you with no other option than to run Moogs because everything else winds up being loose.

IOW, if you are already running Moogs then that is probably your only option. If you do not have Moogs and do not have a loose fitment condition, then you probably still have options.

ETA: Disregard this--I got confused about ball joints. It is ball joints and inner "C"s where Moogs are problematic. Not tie rod ends and not knuckles.

Last edited:
Interesting and a bit annoying about the Moog tie rod ends. I just took a look at my tie rod ends, and they appear to all be stock, so I guess I have options. :) I'm curious to hear that Proforged says about the strength of the ball joints in the their tie rod ends.

Oops.

Sorry. I saw "ball joint" in your first post and forgot you were discussing TREs.

I don't think there is an issue with Moog TREs. The issue is with ball joints and their fitment to the inner "C"s on the axle.

And here are some comparisons of the Moog drag link versus the AC Delco drag link. I wanted to get a Proforged drag link, but its no longer made. Not enough interest according to Proforged. Anyhow, the primary issue I have with the Moog drag link is that the boot covering the ball joint at the end of the link is a simple slip-fit boot. No way in hell its going to keep the elements out. The secondary issue I have is that its not painted. Pretty lame to not be painted.

The only potential advantage I see for the Moog drag link is that it potentially has a larger ball and socket than the AC Delco. The Moog ball joint body is 1.85" diameter while the AC Delco is 1.6" diameter, so I'm assuming that the ball and socket are larger, but I don't know for sure. However, considering the slip-fit boot for the Moog, I don't think the potentially larger ball and socket have any value if its going to get quickly destroyed by contamination.

So, I'm returning the Moog and going with AC Delco. I also plan to try the Proforged tie rod ends. They also have a smaller ball joint body compared to the Moog, but they come with a corrosion resistant coating, and they articulate more easily than the Moog.

ACDelco_vs_Moog_drag_link_overall.jpg

ACDelco_vs_Moog_drag_link_ball_joint_boot.jpg

ACDelco_vs_Moog_drag_link_ball_joint_body_dia.jpg

ACDelco_vs_Moog_drag_link_tie_rod_attachment_location.jpg

ACDelco_vs_Moog_drag_link_stabilizer_attach_and_threads.jpg

Oops.

Sorry. I saw "ball joint" in your first post and forgot you were discussing TREs.

I don't think there is an issue with Moog TREs. The issue is with ball joints and their fitment to the inner "C"s on the axle.

Its not that they expand them persay, its that if you install a knurled ball joint then you can only run a knurled ball joint - that is true regardless of brand. Moog only offers them knurled, some brands only offer a smooth bore, and most of the performance brands offer both knurled and smooth so that you aren't SOL depending what you have run in the past.

I think my favorite balljoint for the jeep right now is the Teraflex, which is offered both ways.

https://teraflex.com/search_results?utf8=✓&search=ball+joint

Its not that they expand them persay, its that if you install a knurled ball joint then you can only run a knurled ball joint - that is true regardless of brand. Moog only offers them knurled, some brands only offer a smooth bore, and most of the performance brands offer both knurled and smooth so that you aren't SOL depending what you have run in the past.

I think my favorite balljoint for the jeep right now is the Teraflex, which is offered both ways.

https://teraflex.com/search_results?utf8=✓&search=ball+joint

I don't see an XJ-specific ball joint. Do the TJ ball joints work?

I don't see an XJ-specific ball joint. Do the TJ ball joints work?

XJ/TJ/YJ/ZJ use the same ball joint.

JK/WJ use the same joint, which shares an upper with the XJ/YJ/TJ/ZJ, and the lower is dimensionally the same but has a slightly different taper.

On my build you're commenting in on the other thread, I'm running an XJ dana 30 with WJ knuckles and balljoints that were specified for a JK.

Back