• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R&R original fender flairs . . . '88XJ

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
Not too long ago, there was a thread here that contained some suggestions for dealing with the metal mounting strips that have the spot-welded 10mm bolts for attaching the fender flairs to the fender. I'm changing a fender and, of course, several broke-off in spite of my efforts to avoid it. I cannot locate that thread. I'm thinking, knock those old ones out, drill-out the holes and install 1/4 x 20 x ??" bolts and tack weld them in place . . . . other ideas/solutions???? Thanks! Don

From what I was told (I 'm redoing an 87) I was told bolts would work fine, and that the metal strips could be eliminated. Alot of people who have the big mud flares just use bolts. I'd like to get the Flares on with the metal strips, but it cost somthing like $200 per side to get replacement parts from Chrysler and I don't think any one else makes them.

Easiest way to do it, is use bolts with a half decent size head, and use washers with them so they won't pull out at all. This is what I did, as mine were rusted to hell, and worked perfectly. Once all in place by hand tightening, just tightened up with a rachet, and voila. None have come loose yet, or pulled off.

Back