• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Death Wobble help…

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is long but this is my DD and I need to get this fixed. I did a search and have read tons already but looking for any other info. Here is story.
Started with Rusty’s 3” coils and 1.75” spacer. I have Rustys fixed lower control arms for a 4.5” lift and also his adjustable trackbar with bracket. Also Rustys steering stabilizer. 30” tires. JKS discos for swaybar. And Rusty’s shocks for 4.5” lift. I don’t think I left any thing out.
I then swapped the axle assembly out. I am still using my same steering linkage from before. The only other thing I swapped out was the coils. I am running a set of RE 4.5” coils for a TJ. When I asked around on the forums I was told that I should get 4” out of the TJ coils so I am guessing I am sitting at about 5.5” just for arguments sake. I took her in for an alignment.
Now I get DW at around 45mph but not all the time. I will get a little wobble at that speed but some times I get more than just a little. It will also some times happen under braking. I drove it on the highway at about 60mph and hit some bumps and nothing. So far from the limited driving I have done it seems to be around 45 MPH.
I did notice that I do have to adjust the track bar a little to get the axle centered again as it’s a little off but could that be the issue?
Any ideas or input would be great.
Thanks

Why did you swap the axle out?

When did you hve your tires balanced last?

What are the specs on the alignment?

What is your toe-in set at?

How are the ball joints on teh new axle?

some ol questions you will need to anser before anyone can help:rolleyes:

I swaped the axle out for one with 4:10's aleady in it.
Ball joints look good. THey are actually off the old axle I swaped them out.
I dont know what the toe in is set at. They just did it last night.
Tires have not been ballanced in a while but every thing was fine before this.
Thanks for any input.

Was the replacement axle from an XJ or a TJ? (They aren't the same.)

Ball joints look good famous last words :rolleyes: check em, there are 50 posts here explaining how

Also check the toe in, 90% of the time they dont set it correct for a lifted XJ, toe should be zero, again there are 50 posts explaining hoo to measure with a tape measure or stick

start checking things yourself, answer the questions we have asked and the anser will become apparent

Hey Eagle the axle came out of an XJ they are the same.

Xjnation The rain is not helping me here to check these things at the moment and I just got the Jeep back late last night from the alignment. I had done the searches and know what I have to check and do to find out. I was hoping to see if there were any new ideas out there instead of the same old same old. The answers are apparent just looking for some new ideas.

There are no new ideas, there can be only a few things that will cause this:

1: alignment
2: toe in in particular
3: tire balance
4: worn or loose steering TRE's or Heims
5: bad ball joint or joints
6: loose steering box on frame or worn steering gear
7: bent or broke pitman arm
8: worn out/loose shocks (this one is a stretch, but can affect it)
9: bent control arms or brackets
10: bad control arm bushings
11: Disc brake dragging on one side (another stretch)
12: Bad hub
13: loose fasteners, nuts bolts etc in the front end
14: trackbar loose or bad joint

I cant think of anything else that can effect it, and finding it is a matter of trial and error, no two cases are exactly alike and probably it is a combination of things,

check the toe in, and rebalance the tires, both should cost you nothing, then eliminate one item on the list at a time till you find teh problem

Dime to donuts the toe in is set at 1/4" instead of zero

not that it adds anything...but "Death Wobble" and "Annoying Wobble" are two different beasts. sounds like yours is annoying....not bouncing you off the road with a load in your shorts

definitely try checking the tire balance and alignment........i peeled one strip of weights off my rim unknowingly and ended up with a rig that you couldn't drive past 55 without the wheels bouncing off the ground and the streering wheel ripping from my hands.

i also see that you have Rusty's arms for 4.5 inch lift...and that you are somewhere around 5.5"- 6". is it a possibility that you don't have enough caster? too little i think will give you a wobble....might try shims in the back of the lower control arm box

good luck

Last edited:
Back