NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 9th, 2008, 22:06
NAXJA Forum User

Rear discs

This question is for those of you with rear disc brakes. I converted my Dana 44 ove to discs using parts of a GC Dana 35. I have had a problem with them leaking oil at the seals. I replaced one side a while ago and the leaking has stopped. I replaced the other a few days ago and continues to leak. My question is what is the correct torque spec on the 4 bolts that bolt the backing plate to the axle flange? I thought it was 55 ft lbs but it was still leaked from between the disc and the backing plate. I dropped it to 35 and now it continues to leak in the original place, between the flange and the backing plate.
Old February 9th, 2008, 22:07
PostMaster General

Re: Rear discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o
This question is for those of you with rear disc brakes. I converted my Dana 44 ove to discs using parts of a GC Dana 35. I have had a problem with them leaking oil at the seals. I replaced one side a while ago and the leaking has stopped. I replaced the other a few days ago and continues to leak. My question is what is the correct torque spec on the 4 bolts that bolt the backing plate to the axle flange? I thought it was 55 ft lbs but it was still leaked from between the disc and the backing plate. I dropped it to 35 and now it continues to leak in the original place, between the flange and the backing plate.
are you using the plates that have a lip on them to put pressure onto the seals?
Old February 9th, 2008, 22:18
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, they do have a lip on them.
Old February 9th, 2008, 22:21
NAXJA Forum User

the lip is facing inward right?
Old February 9th, 2008, 22:30
NAXJA Forum User

Yes the lip is facing inward.
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:35
NAXJA Forum User

It's probably not your torque. Are your retainer plates in one piece, or did you cut them in half so you wouldn't have to get a new bearing/seal pressed on to begin with?

If they are halves, I probably know what your problem is. If they are wholes, I'm not so sure unless your seal was damaged somehow when it was pressed on.
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:10
NAXJA Forum User

Isnt there a spacer that needs to go between the retainer plate and the seal? or is the "lip" on the retainer suppose to take care of that.
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:50
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o
Where is the seal leaking from?
From the axle shaft or the axle tube? If the seal is leaking at the tube, I'd try degreasing and using RTV on the outer perimeter of the seal, to seal it. I think corrosion pits on the tube cause the leak.
If the leak is at the center of the seal then the axle shaft might not be smooth enough for a good seal, or the seal was not installed with grease at the lip, ran dry and got burnt.
If the vent tube is not plugged, there is no pressure in the axle, just gravity.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon556
Where is the seal leaking from?
From the axle shaft or the axle tube? If the seal is leaking at the tube, I'd try degreasing and using RTV on the outer perimeter of the seal, to seal it. I think corrosion pits on the tube cause the leak.
If the leak is at the center of the seal then the axle shaft might not be smooth enough for a good seal, or the seal was not installed with grease at the lip, ran dry and got burnt.
If the vent tube is not plugged, there is no pressure in the axle, just gravity.
X2, this was going to be my second suggestion....

Justin