NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 20th, 2018, 13:23
NAXJA Member

Re: beadlocks: weld-on vs $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
OK, I'll play this game:
Buying a new wheel: $50
beadlock kit at TMI: $50/wheel
hardware: $15
paint: $5 (oh, BTW- you're not going to use all of it)
valve stems: You already have them in the wheel- $0
balancing beads: Sure, if you want to go that way. $5 of BBs
welding wire: negligible. It's not like you're using a spool of wire per wheel.
grinder: Again, negligible. I don't know anyone that buys a grinder per item they build

total: $125. Let's call it $150 to be ridiculous.

Cheapest beadlock I've seen is $275. Are you not good at math?

Guess your time is free.....but if you add the prep & welding & painting time up, it'll add another 100 per wheel easy.......

That puts the total @ 250 per wheel.......so for an extra 25 per wheel, I can have it right now and do no work...I'll take that !
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:28
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post

Well, that might be for a 15" wheel. But a 17" generic black steel wheel is around $100 each these days.
Sure about that? Summit has 7 different wheels under $75, and I haven't even tried hard.

Still, more than $100 less per wheel.

Quote:
Also, you're not factoring in that to people, their time is worth something. Welding, grinding, and hoping it's sealed...nah.
It's welding, not a moon shot. It's just not difficult. It's also relaxing, as is any time spent doing Hardcore Tech type stuff.
(granted this is Junior Grade hardcore tech, but still)
This is the same mindset that says "pay someone to do it" and ends up with bolt-on crap all over a JK, and thinking you have something when you're done. Meh.

Quote:
That, and all you end up with is a flat surface that doesn't center the tire very well.
It centers the tire just fine. Have you ever actually seen one of the TMI wheels?

Quote:
Will AL's work, and possibly save you a lot of time and frustration? Very likely.
Till they crack from abuse. If they're not forged, they really don't need to be used in extreme applications. Porosity is a thing, and not just in welding, and with similar results.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:31
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
.035 is what I'm using as well. getting it figured out, but good prep and beveled edges make a big difference! just got done rebuilding front bumper mounts and they came out pretty good.

What cleaner is best? alcohol?
Whatever you do, DO NOT use brake cleaner. Even if it has no CFCs. There's tons of available reference material, it's a great way to poison and perhaps kill yourself. You do wear a welding-rated respirator, and keep your head out of the smoke, I hope?
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:37
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
17 x 8.5/9 wheels are 100. so that puts the project at closer to 200 per wheel. not a lot of cost savings for a full weekend in the shop.
More like $75/wheel. You guys need to learn about Summit, it seems like.

Also, it doesn't take anything like all weekend to build a set of wheels. If you are talking mounting tires as well, then it's a wash- you will have to mount them on whatever wheels you buy. Or are you taking the tires to Wally World and hoping the mouthbreather there knows what to do with them?
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
More like $75/wheel. You guys need to learn about Summit, it seems like.

Also, it doesn't take anything like all weekend to build a set of wheels. If you are talking mounting tires as well, then it's a wash- you will have to mount them on whatever wheels you buy. Or are you taking the tires to Wally World and hoping the mouthbreather there knows what to do with them?
post a link of your $75 wheel. 17x9 6x5.5

perhaps in your infinite wisdom, google shows you different results than me.
Old April 20th, 2018, 13:51
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Whatever you do, DO NOT use brake cleaner. Even if it has no CFCs. There's tons of available reference material, it's a great way to poison and perhaps kill yourself. You do wear a welding-rated respirator, and keep your head out of the smoke, I hope?
no shit
Old April 20th, 2018, 16:12
NAXJA Member

$75 a wheel sounds like a good bargain to me but I couldn't find any when I looked today. I did find some black D window 17x9, 6 on 5.5" for $104.99
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...83ns/overview/

Perhaps they do preferential pricing for frequent customers. Lots of web retailers adjust pricing to fit the customer. If you get less than $104.99 for this link, post your displayed price here.
Old April 20th, 2018, 17:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Sure about that? Summit has 7 different wheels under $75, and I haven't even tried hard.

Still, more than $100 less per wheel.

Please feel free to link it, since when I looked only a few weeks ago, a 17x9 steel wheel was ~$100. If it's a 15" then sure, might be less

It's welding, not a moon shot. It's just not difficult. It's also relaxing, as is any time spent doing Hardcore Tech type stuff.
(granted this is Junior Grade hardcore tech, but still)
This is the same mindset that says "pay someone to do it" and ends up with bolt-on crap all over a JK, and thinking you have something when you're done. Meh.

Yeah, I'll pass. I never said it was hard, just time consuming. It's rare that they're sealed the first go around as well.

I've done plenty enough farkin' fab, I just wouldn't care to do it.

It centers the tire just fine. Have you ever actually seen one of the TMI wheels?

Are you talking about the anti-coming thing? Last time I saw, most were still flat on the inner bead. Take a look at a Walker Evans, Raceline, etc, and you'll see the inner lip that the bead rests against.

Till they crack from abuse. If they're not forged, they really don't need to be used in extreme applications. Porosity is a thing, and not just in welding, and with similar results.

[b] I'm not quite sure if you're serious on this one. AL (non-forged) have been run by thousands upon thousands of rigs, that beat on them like they owe them money. Yes you can get forged, but unless you're running KOH, they're overkill. Funny, but I've beat on my racelines, to the point of killing at least one tire. Wheels still look just like the day I bought them (the rings are another story).
Sorry, but if you're trying to say that steel DIY beadlocks are in any way better than AL beadlocks, you're talking out your a$$.
Old April 20th, 2018, 17:19
NAXJA Member

Cheapest 15" wheel (15x8, 5 on 4.5) on Summit: ~$48

Cheapest 17" wheel (17x9, 5 on 4.5) on Summit: ~$91
Old April 20th, 2018, 17:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
1000% agree here.

I haven't had to deal with the poison stuff from brake parts cleaner (altho I ws aware of it), but I have made the mistake of welding up a friends floorboard in his car and doing a lot of up close welding with no respirator.......I was sick as a dog for 2-3 days afterwards.

Did some research and found out why...........I now have a respirator and filtered mask that I wear when welding anything.