• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix woes...no start

revmaynard

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, my MJ decided not to start this morning randomly and is getting no spark. The truck has had less than 3k miles put on it since I did a new coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, load of fuses, etc. I decided to check my CPS first and noticed it had been chewed up a bit (the truck sat for years) and so I thought that was my culprit. I get a replacement CPS put in and still I have the same issues. I tested the 2 wire CPS plug via ohms and vac and I get a good ohms reading but no voltage while turning over. I've tested the two plugs at the coil pack and get nothing from either of these either with or without the key forward. Any thoughts? I've had a domino effect with all of my cars this weekend the MJ had no problems or signs of a failure before this morning.

Nah, nothing embarrassing. Swapped the new CPS for another new one and started getting a reading there, still no spark so I replaced the coil because the new one was a cheap Chinese one and everything appeared fine up until the coil. After that I got spark testing with an inline tester. So after I removed the inline tester I had my roommate try to start it and then heard what sounded like plastic being thrown around something, popped the dizzy cap back off (had done this when I first started diagnosing) and the rotor button was broken into pieces in the cap. So it was mainly a combination of 3 new parts not working like they should that led me to believe I had other issues. -shrug- At this point the only ignition part I haven't replaced is the distributor itself and the ICM. My first CPS had been chewed up when it was sitting all those years and I never noticed. I am surprised it ran because it literally was hanging together by like 5 small wire strands.

Back