• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Headrest on back Seat, what seat back will swap easiest

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 6 year old daughter and the front seat booster chair this is a pain. Does anyone know of a replacement seat back, I don't even care if it matches that I could replace with minimum fabrication. I am limited to drilling and bolting things on, I dont have the ability or equipment to weld so a backseat modification involving welding is not going to happen.

Anyone done this?

the only way "I" know of is to get the Rock Hard bolt in roll cage with rear headest option......for bolting in. Welding at least some brackets are going to be required in just about every case I can think of, as the XJ seats attach with only two bolts at the bottom to pivot off of, and a latch for the tops.

WJ rear seats, but aren't quite bolt in and reduce some of the leg room. If you don't care about looks I'm sure you could find a headrest and bolt it to the back of the stock seat.

yeah, that's what i thought too. Need to do a LITTLE welding at least. You MIGHT be able to find a way to bolt it in, but dunno.

I wonder if I could just get away with just doing the top of a WJ seat. I would throw a seat cover over it so it doesn't matter that the top and bottom don't match.

I found some front ZJ buckets with removable headrests with a similar fabric as my 2000 interior, pulled the upolstery and cut the headrest mounting bracket off the ZJ seat frame.

I then pulled my XJ bench back apart and grafted the ZJ mounts into the XJ bench.
IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

Looks like a factory fit.

IMG_4287.jpg

I know that this doesn't fit your "cut n paste" criteria, sorry.

a WJ seat is two peices, so it would'nt work, not to metnion different width's I'm sure. And in the end you still have to make the upper latch work with whatever you use. You need to find a one peice seat back, with matching width and height, that has holes on the lower sides, versus the bottom, and something at the right theight on top to allow mounting of the pins on the factory seat, to engage the latch mechanism...........yeah doesn't seem likely at all. Know anyone that can weld? Take them your seat and do the above mentioned headrest retro-fit.

From the looks of the modifications both Gojeep and Xjeeper did to the seat backs, the modification can be done without welding. The brackets both used was a flat piece of metal. Easy enough to run a bolt/washer combo through. The bracing Xjeeper installed (looks like round stock) could be replicated with square stock, channel, or angle and also bolted in. 'Just have to get creative.

I have the same issue. The rear seat backs are too low and offer no head support in an accident. I would love to have a set of head rest back there. Till then I use a decent booster with a back on it
KC16338_l.jpg

Perhaps you can find a Land Rover at a JY, and get the head support/rest for the 3rd row seat.. they are mounted on the roof/rear pillar, and swing down for use.

It will take more time and cost more to locate the parts than it will to have a welder fab this up. I suck at welding and did this mod, so a qualified fabricator would have no problem crankiing this out. FYI - my mod is on GoJeeps site. It's pretty easy.

Back