• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Replacement (3.5" OME Lift)

In the OP's post #6 the shackle box is definitely bent!

I don't know how you can get a clearer pic of the shackle pocket!
028_25.JPG

In the OP's post #6 the shackle box is definitely bent!

Yep, I was the person who first noted that image. But I still wonder about the camera producing a distorted image. Unless he's already decided to install an SRB, would be somewhat of a waste of time to cut out a good shackle box.

Yep, I was the person who first noted that image. But I still wonder about the camera producing a distorted image. Unless he's already decided to install an SRB, would be somewhat of a waste of time to cut out a good shackle box.
Eyeballed the shackle boxes and they look fine. Not sure yet if there's contact marks at the rear of the spring. I'll get more
pictures this afternoon.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I found the HD so will read installation online. Will the OEM stuff need repair before using the no lift shackles? I'm guessing both sides will look the same but it's 5* and I ain't going out there.

Was just going to check the junk XJ to see the shackles, not pull the parts. Getting a rear seatback to build a cargo platform since my rear seat is rarely used - a topic for another day.

The HD shackle you pictured isn't a no lift shackle, that one is longer than the stock shackle, so will provide some lift. How much lift is depending on how your shackle angle is. The other part pictured appears to be shackle relocation brackets, so you can fine tune the shackle angle. They look different than mine so not sure if its the flavor that just bolts into where the shackle used to go, maybe adds a few more bolts, and then gives you multiple shackle bolt locations. If they do, then they too will add lift. That's why the no lift SRBs are desirable, because aftermarket HD shackles pretty much all add some kind of lift... unless the stockers are at a 90* (due to lift) and you instal the beefier shackles at 45* negating the longer length of the shackles lift.

All of the nonlift SRBs I've seen require irreversible stock shackle box removal. The material is crazy thin, so if yours is bent- I'd just cut em out and add the adjustability of SRBs. Of course, mine were perfectly fine and I still opted to do so any way so that there's that

I don't mess with rustys, so no experience with those. Why not run what you have? Are you intending to install the SRBs you posted? Those shackles are cherry imo

How about these at 0.75"? Or the 1.5" version?
Just enough to clear interference. Again, an inch lift wouldn't be bad.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...s-shackles-xj-75-extended-greasable-pair.html

I have these. As RCP Phx suggests, they are super beefy, and they fit well. They should work fine with a 53" long leaf (as measured from center to center of the leaf mounting holes along the path of the main leaf). 53.5" or longer will likely require notching the shackle slightly, but these things are so beefy, I'd have no concern about adding a 0.25" deep notch.

I don't mess with rustys, so no experience with those. Why not run what you have? Are you intending to install the SRBs you posted? Those shackles are cherry imo

I'd rather not use the SRB if I can get away with just shackles.
The shackles I have are RE2700 @ 5" and that's more than I want or probably need.

Will the 1.5" give more 'clearance' than the .75? Seems like a dumb question but would like to do this once and done.
..and is there a big advantage to the boomerang over the straight? I don't really care about cost difference as long as it's a final solution.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The extended shackles I have NIB laying around the shop for years will lift it 1.25" per RE specs. RE2700. Gonna get them on and I'll bet my issue is resolved. Thanks all.

As you lift the rear the shackle gets straighter and straighter, which having em at say 90* rides like crap.
Thats why the SRBs are all the rage... multiple points to adjust that angle. Just saying, if we are talking one and done, do it right do it once.. those are pretty much a must- que boomerangs. Pretty nice at taking a crap angle and making it work like it was were it should be.

I prefer the adjustability of the extra mounting locations of an SRB. But, yours look a little different, so idk much about em. Boomerangs would probably suffice, the downside is you install it and thats the only angle you get, so hopefully its on point

Last edited:
Guess I can stuff the shackles in and see where they sit then move on to the next step if needed. I dunno where I got the SRBs and have no instructions but should be able to figure it out looking at other brand instructions. Been on a shelf for years.
But then I'd like no-lift SRBs in the end..

As you lift the rear the shackle gets straighter and straighter, which having em at say 90* rides like crap.
Thats why the SRBs are all the rage... multiple points to adjust that angle. Just saying, if we are talking one and done, do it right do it once.. those are pretty much a must- que boomerangs. Pretty nice at taking a crap angle and making it work like it was were it should be.

I prefer the adjustability of the extra mounting locations of an SRB. But, yours look a little different, so idk much about em. Boomerangs would probably suffice, the downside is you install it and thats the only angle you get, so hopefully its on point

A vertical shackle angle only means that the spring rate felt at the rear wheels is the actual spring rate of the leaf springs. Angling the shackle back makes the spring rate at the wheel softer than the spring rate of the spring itself. My shackles are vertical at ride height, but my XJ rides great because I tuned the leaf spring rate.

In my estimation, the true issue here is that axle wrap is reduced with a stiffer leaf pack, so angling the shackles rearward to reduce the spring rate at the wheels allows a stiffer leaf pack to be used that gives less axle wrap. The tradeoff is that a strongly angled shackle will produce a falling spring rate rear suspension, so the spring rate at the rear wheels goes down as the leaf spring is compressed. This can be minimized by using a long shackle that goes through less angle change.

My feeling is that unless rock climbing or serious hill climbs that require good resistance to axle wrap are needed, a soft leaf spring with a vertical shackle is acceptable. At least that's what I've convinced myself at the moment. :)

Here's the combo I'm considering. Hopefully keeping additional lift to a minimum.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...s-shackles-xj-75-extended-greasable-pair.html 0.75"

https://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit 0.75 - 1.5"

Concern is too much rear lift and the stinkbug look. Gonna have to research front coil spring spacers in .75 or such, and the consequences if I don't like the stance.

Is there an ideal shackle angle? Seems like I read folks like 45* but also reading other preferences and explanations.

You said you already had the RE's, they are the same as the Rusty's.

You said you already had the RE's, they are the same as the Rusty's.

Rusty's are .75", RE are 1.25". I guess 1/2" isn't going to be terrible.

Trying to ID the SRB I have in hand but my darn pictures are huge. One piece unit.

Is there an ideal shackle angle? Seems like I read folks like 45* but also reading other preferences and explanations.

I would say that there is no ideal angle. Its only necessary to understand a few things: 1) The greater the angle, the softer the ride and more travel for a given spring. 2) A greater starting shackle angle produces a faster falling spring rate. 3) The shackle angle should not ever be greater than perhaps 80 degrees from vertical at full compression of the suspension. Even that is probably too much because the spring rate at the wheels will be very soft at 80 degrees.

Unless you are planning to install an SRB, you won't have any significant control over shackle angle. Your only options to tweak it will be the length of the spring purchased and the length of the shackle. Most ready-made leaf springs for the XJ are going to put the shackle angle not far off vertical for typical lengths of aftermarket shackles.

Rusty's are .75", RE are 1.25". I guess 1/2" isn't going to be terrible.

Trying to ID the SRB I have in hand but my darn pictures are huge. One piece unit.

If you call them both and ask what the center to center distance is you will find out they are the same. I have a pair of each!

Back