• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble

89longarm

NAXJA Forum User
My dads WJ (I know not an XJ) has contracted a case of the DW's it has a 3inch OME springs and a spacer I have already replaced the stabilizer with a rancho version and balanced all 4 tires replaced the trackbar with rusty's adjustable bar and replaced all the TRE and aligned the thing (individual caster is out but total is good) all other numbers with in specs it seems to have gotten worse when we did the track bar was leening towards adjustable LCA and replaceing UCA bushings at the axle anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated

if the alignment specs came out good, why do adjustable lca's?
assuming it isnt a wheeling rig, plenty do fine with shims on a 3" lift.
did you check the trac bar hole on the axle end when you did the bar, or just replace it?
i have repaired a few that had wallowed out the axle mount for the trac bar, a couple were hard to see unless you put the bolt into the hole without the trac bar there....
just a thought

martin

Having the caster out can cause death wobble. Try setting the toe 1/16 out or you may have to get adjustable upper arms. Drop brackets would probably take care of it assuming there are no worn parts there.

My dads WJ (I know not an XJ) has contracted a case of the DW's it has a 3inch OME springs and a spacer I have already replaced the stabilizer with a rancho version and balanced all 4 tires replaced the trackbar with rusty's adjustable bar and replaced all the TRE and aligned the thing (individual caster is out but total is good) all other numbers with in specs it seems to have gotten worse when we did the track bar was leening towards adjustable LCA and replaceing UCA bushings at the axle anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I'll guess that this is a 4.0L WJ. The ONLY one we've ever encountered with this problem at the shop was a 4.0L. TeraFlex's fix for it was an offset lower control arm. The arms came with tabs to weld outboard of the lower control arm brackets on the axle end. The arm ends were welded so that when installed, the axle end of them were pushed away from each other, not the same distance as stock. Beats the hell out of me, but that was the ONLY fix. We did everything you mentioned and finally called Tera when we were out of ideas. They knew about the issue because they had an arm that fixed it.

This isn't something you'd think of because the damned things are so close to an XJ in the front. We've never run into this on the V8 WJs, however...

Back