• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jerking at a steady speed

360_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 4dr with an auto trans lifted 4.5 inches sitting on 35s and i have three problems i have yet to diagnose. Im posting on here to maybe get some feedback or suggetions on how to trouble shoot these.
1. Sometimes when I'm crushing at 35-40 mph I get a jerking feeling like maybe it's trying to decide what gear to be in? It happens randomly and isn't consistent.
2. Somtimes when I shift into reverse, my rpms will drop and it will act like it wants to die, if it does die, when I restart the rpms jump to 2k and I have to keep my foot on the break or it will take off and ill have to turn the jeep off for a good 5 min for it to go away...this is also random and hasn't happens in a while.
3. This is the most often accuring problem, after driving a short time on the freeway or maybe a longer distance or for a longer amount of time, when I come to a stop light or sign and go to accelerate it will want to die ONLY if If I give it a little gas, I usually have to put my foot into it to get it to quit.
Thanks for any help its much appreciated

Welcome to the forums. Unless you have major modifications done to the engine this question should probably be in OEM tech, just FYI...

I'm taking a total guess here, but what you described sounds like something related to the throttle position sensor, or if not that maybe the vehicle speed sensor?

Normally I'd suggest pulling codes, but you can't do that on an '88 since it's a Renix Jeep. I believe there is some way to test for these kind of issues using a multimeter, so maybe someone else with more Renix knowledge can chime in on that...

I have an 88 4dr with an auto trans lifted 4.5 inches sitting on 35s and i have three problems i have yet to diagnose. Im posting on here to maybe get some feedback or suggetions on how to trouble shoot these.
1. Sometimes when I'm crushing at 35-40 mph I get a jerking feeling like maybe it's trying to decide what gear to be in? It happens randomly and isn't consistent.
2. Somtimes when I shift into reverse, my rpms will drop and it will act like it wants to die, if it does die, when I restart the rpms jump to 2k and I have to keep my foot on the break or it will take off and ill have to turn the jeep off for a good 5 min for it to go away...this is also random and hasn't happens in a while.
3. This is the most often accuring problem, after driving a short time on the freeway or maybe a longer distance or for a longer amount of time, when I come to a stop light or sign and go to accelerate it will want to die ONLY if If I give it a little gas, I usually have to put my foot into it to get it to quit.
Thanks for any help its much appreciated

I would see if any codes register. That SHOULD tell you something but not lways. I would then change out the o2 sensors. Its old enough to where it would probably need new ones anyway and it couldn't hurt. If anything it will only help. I had the "chugging/jerking" situation before in my 89 and it was the 02 sensors. I would do that first. I could be your MAP sensor, TPS, catalytic convertor, etc. A lot of things but what you describe is exactly what I had happen so I would go with O2 sensor (s)

@ cruiser54 just wanna start with cheaper parts when trouble shooting, I cleaned my iac and tb...@2001XJ damn I didn't think about that...gonna price a map sensor and o2 and swap out the iac and tps. @Lurch...took me a min...funny guy

OP, you have no codes. Renix doesn't throw them. Nothing cheaper than less than an hour to perform my PROVEN procedures addressing KNOWN issues with Renix Jeeps. Your choice. .

Update...jeep died three times while driving today...last time I tried to start it it just clicked once each time and won't start...thinking its my starter? But why would it die in the first place?

Back