• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEATH WOBBLE

bhmike

NAXJA Forum User
I have read countless threads on every sight for the last month now and am about to set my jeep on fire .

98 , 6.5 rough country short arm life, 35's

New Durango steering box
New JCR steering box spacer / brace
New JCR 1ton under the knuckle steering kit
New Iron Rock double sher track bar
New usa alloy u-joints
New upper & lower control arms bushings rebuilt
Tires balanced
Had alignment done
Everything is tight

Only thing left to even consider is upper and lower ball joints & front wheel hubs . Other than that I'm at a loss and I don't want to take it anywhere , I hate having other peoples hands on my baby . Please HELP !!! Thanks

who did the alignment? did you get a print out of the specs it was set to?
what speeds does it happen
you want 1/32 inch toe in on cross over steering 6.5 degrees caster
camber should be +/- 1/2 degree
it would help to ckeck the balance on your tires some shops suck at balancing
and some do static balance not dynamic and static wont balance out wobble
ive helped with alot of death wobble problems let me know if i can lend a hand

who did the alignment? did you get a print out of the specs it was set to?
what speeds does it happen
you want 1/32 inch toe in on cross over steering 6.5 degrees caster
camber should be +/- 1/2 degree

it would help to ckeck the balance on your tires some shops suck at balancing
and some do static balance not dynamic and static wont balance out wobble
ive helped with alot of death wobble problems let me know if i can lend a hand

Learn something new everyday.

ok, is this Death wobble? or just some shakeing while driveing down the road?

ballance the tires, check for bent wheels, inspect u-joints,all of them, check alighnment, check track bar/bracket, steering box bolts, stering tre's, lug nut torq,and control arm bushings. then id look into the balljoints and unit berings...

that would be my order. how much have you looked into?
bronze.

X2, death wobble has become an umbrella term for a few different problems. What exactly is it doing?

agree if you still drive it its not a death wobble. a true death wobble ether scared the crap out of you so bad you pull over towing the rig home or you wreck towing the rig to the shop. still you need to find the issue and fix it before it becomes a death wobble.
to find a wobble.

lift front end and support.
go to each wheel and by hand at wheel turn each tire.(not rotate) grabbing to tire near the front of the rig and the back. as if you wanted to turn your rig.
going back and forth with the tire you may feel a clunk. if you do keep doing it tell you find it. may be in any part of your steering. (wiggle everything)

now grab the top of the tire and the bottom and top. pushing on top when pulling on bottom. back and forth. once done with one tire go the the other. even if you found an issue. there nay be more then one cause to your wobble.(side stepping)

Gilbert tire pros did the alignment , ill have to find the sheet with all the specs on it . It is defiantly a death wobble not a slight shack . I can't drive it . Starts at 35+ mph , haven't had it faster then 50 and that was once just for a sec. I don't see or feel any play in the balls or hubs but its the only thing I haven't replaced .

...I don't see or feel any play in the balls....
Well there's your problem! LOL, sounds like the wife ain't doin her job!:laugh3:

Sorry man, in all seriousness.....
I still think it has something to do with your angles.....
Anyone else see something a little off here between the track bar and drag link?
It may be just me, but I think that if that drag link came up an inch or two at the pitman arm, those angles would be more in line and your problem would go away. Anyone else want to chime in on this?
(let me also state that i'm not saying that it CANT be ball joints or anything else, but this is still something that should probably be addressed.)
IMAG0471.jpg

Mine was cased by a bad stabilizer, I totally agree MnKyboy, it to broad a term to use. I would be driving down the street, hit any kind of bump. Man hole cover, speed bump any thing, and the front end felt like it was going to fall off. I installed the stabilizer and have not had a problem sense. That was just my fix for it, yours may vary!!

Mine was cased by a bad stabilizer, I totally agree MnKyboy, it to broad a term to use. I would be driving down the street, hit any kind of bump. Man hole cover, speed bump any thing, and the front end felt like it was going to fall off. I installed the stabilizer and have not had a problem sense. That was just my fix for it, yours may vary!!

The stabilizer is COVERING your DW problem, it's not the CAUSE of DW.

The stabilizer is COVERING your DW problem, it's not the CAUSE of DW.

My DW is really caused by the bent C on my front end. The stabilizer take the DW away, or absorbs it if you will. I know if I unhook the stabilizer I can't drive the jeep. If its hooked up its drives fine. That's how mine works. But it could be caused by so many things, hard to track down sometimes/

Here is my set up, the only thing I have done different than the picture is attach the stabilizer to the drag link not the tie rod as in the picture.
Picture184.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Back