• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap questions

Thegtwyo86

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone
I have a question about doing an 8.8 swap in my 2001 jeep cherokee.i have always owned fox body mustangs and have a lot of parts to show for it.one of them being a gutted 8.8 out of a 1993 mustang gt.i was wondering if this rear end would be to narrow or if it would work.

you want a 95 or 96 newer exploder axle. disc brakes lsd 31 spline. you can get them with a 4.10 gear ratio so that could be an upgrade if you found a stock d30 from a 5 spd 4 cyl with the same gear ratio for the front.

I agree with the above... For one thing the Mustang axles are 28 spline while the Explorer 8.8's are 31. I don't know if the Mustang axle shafts are smaller diameter or weaker material, but there's definitely a strength difference between the two. Not that the Mustang axles are weak per se, but why not have the extra strength from the get go? I don't know if this is common, but my local junkyard charges almost as much for just a diff carrier as they do for a complete housing (you need a 31 spline carrier to swap in 31 spline axles).

I'm a foxbody guy myself, currently rebuilding an 8.8 for my 1990 GT. The 8.8's are pretty easy to rebuild, after doing this one I would't hesitate to build one for my Jeep.

Back