• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum issue, ac onlythrough defrost, cant find diagrams

Intellect

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 inline 6 4wd cherokee.

Ac only blows from defrost.

So to start out. Im 99% sure it's vacuum. When i purchased the xj the ac didnt work, but i remember using fan through the vents fine.

I put on an aftermarket bumper and lost the oval plastic vacuum container. I also have tinkered under the hood for a few months disconnecting various tiny vacuum lines to this issue without reconnecting them.

Well i fixed the ac and shes ice cold now, and i need a helping hand on where which lines go.

Color coated my photos..

I have a white(dirty so grey) and a black coming through the firewall. ( CIRCLED IN RED )

I also have the one that comes from where the oval canistor was ( CIRCLED IN GREEN ), and goes to around where the other ones are.. has a plastic t on the end.( CIRCLED IN BLUE )

I also have this black little thing that has a rubber hose coming off it, but i think he isnt ac related.. idk ( CIRCLED IN ORANGE ) .. he has a rubber hose coming off him going nowhere. Justout of picture.

I tried connecting random ones in random orders before making this post...

Also tried a screw as my vacuum canistor substitute lol.. (green circle)

If anyone can help let me know.

I went through the ac defrost only thing.... on a mustang. But that was easy, got new tiny vacuum line and rubber connectors and plastic T , and just had to fish it around. If thats the case here i just need a little guidance. Thanks!

Hope the colors help!

Also, can i make shift my own "vacuum canistor" like old school? If so recommendations?
f9533f8adb4d248dc8f422fcf26e45f0.jpg
568fe0bf4aef0e3d6e243f31a7e57bdd.jpg
a4384ef8533dea0584111397854c4acc.jpg
6f9e6b80d8b5c54571f27040c40421a4.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On your firewall just to the right of your HVAC fan blower...looking at your engine from the front... there are two small vac lines coming out. The pinkish one goes to the heater valve (in orange). Then the black line should go to the vac reservoir behind the bumper (under the battery). If it T's off, that should go to your cruise servo.

If there is no reservoir youre just sucking air and won't have any HVAC or cruise under load. So, you NEED a reservoir if you want the blend doors or controls to work. Easily obtainable at a junkyard and it doesn't even have to be a Jeep reservoir. You can find similar ones on Volvos, Toyotas etc.

The fat line coming off the rear half of the intake manifold is your vacuum SOURCE. Vacuum is stored in and distributed from the vacuum reservoir. Almost ALL vehicles that have vacuum servos or use vacuum have the same (similar) set-ups.

One hose fitting says VAC (the fat hose), and one says ACC. The ACC one can branch off to the HVAC and the Cruise, if equipped. If you have an oval ball you just send a tee from fat to fat and skinny to skinny, or really HVAC and Cruise each get their own skinny line. Also, bulk vac line is relatively cheap so you're better off just re-hosing everything instead of patching cracks. You should not have any "free" ends as they will just suck air all day long.

Last edited:
Back