• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
did all xjs without a tire carrier come with a Doughnut spare tire? my 90 had a tire carrier so i have a full size on that. and my 88 did not come with a spare. i grabbed a doughnut at the Junkyard and was just curious if there had been more options.

I am pretty sure my '93 came with a full size spare in the cargo area. It had a pristine Goodyear Wrangler tire on a pristine factory rim in a vinyl cover when it (the '93) came to me. I have no clue what my '96 came with as a P.O. took out everything that had to do with a spare tire mount (even the base bracket) and threw it away.

I have always interpreted the two holes in that mounting tab in the cargo area as being there for either a donut (lower hole) or full size (upper hole).

All of mine (91 Limited, and 2 different 94 government owned models) have come with full size spares in the cargo area. With a little finesse, I am able to fit a 245/75R16 in the stock location.

Same here, 85 had a donut spare and the 90s XJ have full size. On the 85 one of the previous owners had a full-size spare the included, but the donut was set up on the tire holder inside. I think it was a package upgrade deal if you had something like a Chief or Lorado you got the full size spare and cover to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now that i remember. i think i have not put the black stand on the floor where the spare goes. i wonder if this will allow me to put the spare in and have it fit.

Both my '96 and '00 had a space saver spare. First thing I got rid of for a full size one. I am with Anak about the holes in the mounting tab.

Same here, 85 had a donut spare and the 90s XJ have full size. On the 85 one of the previous owners had a full-size spare the included, but the donut was set up on the tire holder inside. I think it was a package upgrade deal if you had something like a Chief or Lorado you got the full size spare and cover to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My '92 Laredo came with the donut and matching cover.

Mounts to the rear quater panel and latch is in the bumper. It's the stronger of the two different types of tire carriers from Jeep. Very simular to what came on Broncos and Blazers of the era.

Back