• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any trick to bleeding front brakes? 96xj

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it. Fixxing friends rusted front brake lines and just getting ready to bleed the brakes. Tried a little bit tonight but wasent getting the pedal back. Its a 96 with abs.

One corner of the vehicle at a time. Fill reservoir and cover master cylinder. pump pedal a couple of times and hold down. With a hose connected to the bleeder screw on one end and the other submersed in a bottle of brake fluid open the bleeder screw. Fluid should rush out as well as some bubbles and pedal should go down. After fluild slows or stops close the bleeder screw and let up on the pedal. Repeat until no more bubbles then move to next wheel. Check the master cylinder often so it doesn't run dry (other wise you'll be doing a lot more bleeding). I did have a brand new set of calipers that I couldn't bleed for the life of me. Ended up taking it to a garage and found out one was bad. It was sucking air back in when tightening the bleeder screw. Had to do it all over again. Also had a friend install some calipers on the wrong side. He had the bleeder screws on the bottoms and should be on top as high as possible. Air rises in fluid so check that if you replaced the calipers.

Just another point to make. Even if you only changed the front breaks go ahead and bleed the rear as well. Start with the tire farthest away from the master cylinder and work to the closest one. IF you are by yourself they make a vacuum you can use to bleed them yourself, you may be able to get one at a major auto parts store that has a lon-a-tool program. good luck.

Mity-vac is the best tool I have found for that. It is about $20 and money well spent if you ever plan on any vacume or bleeding repairs ever. Like they said start on the right rear, left rear, right front, then left front. Good luck!

Might wanna double check the sequence,I think the sequence for ABS system is different than standard brake system.

yellowxj said:
Title says it. Fixxing friends rusted front brake lines and just getting ready to bleed the brakes. Tried a little bit tonight but wasent getting the pedal back. Its a 96 with abs.

If equipped with ABS begin by bleeding master cylinder/modulator.Loosen/tighten line fittings one at a time while an assistant operates brake pedal.The ignition must be on.
Rest of procedure is the same as standard brake system.Keep the fluid full and clean.
HTH
Wayne

heres a tip if you are going to use the mity-vac method (which i highly recommend).... i had a problem on the front with it puling air past the threads of the bleeder screw and giving the visual effect of a steady stream of air coming out of your brakeline... i had to replace the screws to fix that problem
mike

ok ok ok its going to the damn brake shop tomorrow...bled bled bled bled....no more air coming out...hell none last night....still no front brakes...rear locks up tight...

Back