NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 19th, 2004, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

Custom Fabricated Bumpers

Just wondering how many of you have fabricated your own bumpers? I plan on making my own and was wondering if any of you out there have any do's or don'ts when it comes to this.

Thanks

Gary
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Custom Fabricated Bumpers

Measure twice and cut once.

At LEAST 3/16". 1/4" is better.

Think about approach angles.

Think about how much will be hanging back, so you don't make contact when your front tires compress into the wheel well upon articulation.

DON'T post pictures of bad welds unless you want to be criticized.
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:11
NAXJA Forum User

if you will be winching from them, use the longest "frame" mounts that you can fit and gusset the hell out of the bumper. find as many places as possible to bolt to the body, like 8 per side or more if you can do it. i second using 3/16" steel, and 3/8" for the "frame" connectors. 1/2" or thicker steel for d-ring brackets if you will be adding them. Practice your welds first if you are not already a good welder so they don't look like booger coated popcorn. consider powdercoating it when its done or baked enamel, the paint will last better. (or herculiner, etc.). and lastly, search for examples, there are tons on XJDB.com and GoJeep has a good writeup on how he built his, and they are fine!
Old October 19th, 2004, 18:03
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the advice. I have lots of scrap metal at work as well as a fully loaded welding booth so I can practice lots before making my bumpers.

Apreciate the time guys

Gary
Old October 19th, 2004, 19:10
Member #Nay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Terry

At LEAST 3/16". 1/4" is better.
You should be bound and tortured for your over-simplified response that could easily push this guy into making an anchor.

Using geometry, good design and fabrication principles, I could make a bumper using 11 ga. that could easily be stronger than a bumper made by a guy who let material thickness alone guide thier design, and be lighter to boot. Heavier materials obviously make more sense in certain situations, but when weight is important, you can't go barkiefab with it.
Old October 19th, 2004, 19:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezil
You should be bound and tortured for your over-simplified response that could easily push this guy into making an anchor.

Using geometry, good design and fabrication principles, I could make a bumper using 11 ga. that could easily be stronger than a bumper made by a guy who let material thickness alone guide thier design, and be lighter to boot. Heavier materials obviously make more sense in certain situations, but when weight is important, you can't go barkiefab with it.
This is all true, but he's not you, so Okiefab is the easiest.

What an asskicker.

BTW, The base material for my bumper is 11 ga, so I'm not all barkeater am I?.