• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sudden power loss

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay So today I changed the water pump and thermostat on my 99xj. Everything went just fine. I drove around for about 1/2 an hour and everthing was fine. I then went to my work and got under it to make sure that there were no leaks, everything was fine. Then I took it through our automatic car wash and as I was leaving the jeep died when I came to a stop. It would turn over and everything but no start. The gauges in the dash wouldn't register but would light up. No water anywhere near the distributor, but I did notice that by the ECU on the drivers fender that it was a little wet. So I pulled all of the plugs and sprayed it with some Z4/WD40 or whatever you want to call it and it started up.

So then I went to pick up my daughter from my moms house which is like 3min. away and everything was fine. Then I get about a mile away from there and it dies going like 35mph. No warning, it just looses power. So I pop the hood and look around and see a wire that may have been moved when I moved the Battery earlier so I give it a wiggle and it fires up first try after that. So I guess what I'm wondering is this a common problem? does it sound like maybe the fuel pump? Or something electrical? I would think the fuel pump except for the whole gauge cluster not working. Please, any advice will help.

moparmatt said:
It sounds like you just forgot to tighen your battery cables.

I have done it many times because I always weld someing on the jeep.

The battery cables were never touched. Also there was still power to everything just no starting and no gauge readings. What controlls the gauges? Is it the ECU?

Electrical problems are always tricky, and sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

I have had my dads truck drain the battery, took weeks to figure it out. Not even a automotive tech figured it out, luckily he did not get charged. I figured it out by accident......the glove box light switch was stuck on.:doh:

Blaine B. had the same problem as you, we were at the Badlands ORV Park and all of his gauges and everything electrical not working. He had a bad alt. supurizing his XJ ran when I gave him a jump, again no gauges when the motor was running.

When it comes down to it could be a loose ground wire, relay, fuse, anything........

I would start testing with a multmeter and post updates of your progress/struggles, Where do you have power and were do you not have power.
example. you have power after the fuse but as soon as you test the leds to the device you have not power.

That was my plan, to start testing stuff but it hasn't happened again. I have a feeling that water got to something it wasn't supposed to . But It may be a relay as well. We'll see here in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice. What relay runs the gauges?

Back