• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE control arms coming apart

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on the ole' xj yesterday and noticed the lower control arms bushing on the unibody side had come halfway out of the arm and ballooned out. It was like this on both sides as a matter of fact. These are the fixed arms but I don't know of anybody having problems with them. We tried to press the bushing back in, but couldn't because it had tore out too far. This was what has been causing my squeeking too. I was wondering if there is a way to put new bushings in, and where would I get them or do I have to get new arms? I am not sure how long it will last this way before squeeking extremely bad. Please help---------kyle

RE sells both the Clevite style bushings for about $12-15 a piece and they have their new poly bushings for a little more. I've heard they can be difficult to press in (the Clevite rubber style) but can be done. You should be able to get the rubber ones at most good auto parts stores.

If they are rubber bushings then you can just replace them with stock XJ LCA bushings which can be found at NAPA, AutoZone, Jeep dealer, etc. This is not that uncommon and definitely not an RE product issue, unless of course they installed some el cheapo bushings. If you flex a rubber bushing of this type enough, it can and will fail. BTW, replacing the bushings with a hyd. press will save you lots of time and blood/flesh/pain, but it can be done the manual way.

Thanks guys. My arms came with the 5.5" RE kit and are the fixed lowers. They are rubber so I guess I might try the local stores, unless somebody has a better idea of something to put in there that doesn't wear out as easy. I have only had these arms on for half a year-------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
I was working on the ole' xj yesterday and noticed the lower control arms bushing on the unibody side had come halfway out of the arm and ballooned out. It was like this on both sides as a matter of fact. These are the fixed arms but I don't know of anybody having problems with them. We tried to press the bushing back in, but couldn't because it had tore out too far. This was what has been causing my squeeking too. I was wondering if there is a way to put new bushings in, and where would I get them or do I have to get new arms? I am not sure how long it will last this way before squeeking extremely bad. Please help---------kyle

I just pulled my drop brackets and both my upper arms were the same way. I'm only running these arms for a month or so longer, so I just cut 'em a bit and shoved them back in.

offroadman83 said:
Thanks guys. My arms came with the 5.5" RE kit and are the fixed lowers. They are rubber so I guess I might try the local stores, unless somebody has a better idea of something to put in there that doesn't wear out as easy. I have only had these arms on for half a year-------Kyle

Superflex arm bushings will last longer.....if RE will offer you a trade-in, go that route. If not, install a set of Superflex joints on your arms and there your go.

XJEEPER said:
If they are rubber bushings then you can just replace them with stock XJ LCA bushings which can be found at NAPA, AutoZone, Jeep dealer, etc. This is not that uncommon and definitely not an RE product issue, unless of course they installed some el cheapo bushings.QUOTE]

yep easy to replace, BUT RE did have an issue with the bushings. same thing happened to me. You can call them up and they will send you out some new ones, i was just in a rush and got stock replacements pressed in.

XJEEPER said:
If they are rubber bushings then you can just replace them with stock XJ LCA bushings which can be found at NAPA, AutoZone, Jeep dealer, etc.

I wish my local AutoZone or NAPA had the rubber replacements... got any part #s for either one of the stores?
Thanks !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

These are the Napa part numbers I used for OEM style bushings:
Upper ncp 267-1372, Lower ncp 267-3409.

Fletch said:
yep easy to replace, BUT RE did have an issue with the bushings. same thing happened to me. You can call them up and they will send you out some new ones, i was just in a rush and got stock replacements pressed in.

RE had a problem about 2 years ago when they used ZJ style rubber bushings, identified by a small cresent slit in the rubber. They honored customers who's arms were supplied with the ZJ bushings by sending them a set of XJ bushings upon request. They will check to see when your arms were built to see if it had ZJ bushings (they asked me). RE did, however, switch to the XJ style (solid) bushing to solve the issue.

And yeah, they are a pizain to replace.

--Matt

Ronbo said:
These are the Napa part numbers I used for OEM style bushings:
Upper ncp 267-1372, Lower ncp 267-3409.

Thanks !! I'll try & hammer the #s down the counter guys throught when I order my next set.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back