NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Turn signals not working

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0L manual and 2 days ago my turn signals stoped working. My hazards work just fine so it's not any of the bulbs and since then I've replaced the fuse, flasher relay and the turn signal switch and still no luck and the old fuse was blown and there was light corrosion on the contacts. The turn signal switch looked in good condition.
Old July 12th, 2017, 07:52
NAXJA Forum User

Turn signals not working

I would check the fuse is getting power.
Could just be poor contact with the fuse.
I had trouble with turn signal relay when I put led bulbs in the tail lights. After I bought a new relay that didn't mind the led bulbs the turn signals worked fine.

I believe the renix c101 plug that could cause so many problems was eliminated by 1990.

If brake lights and turn signal were out then it could be a power line that attached at the batter terminal. Some times they corrode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:32
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Turn signals not working

Probably, since the old fuse blew, and the new fuse did not blow, then some where the power wire shorted to ground and melted the wire, so it is now an open circuit. Is the new fuse getting power. Is power getting to the other side of the new fuse? Is power getting to turn signal switch.

Time to follow the power wire to the point where the power dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmothyb View Post
I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0L manual and 2 days ago my turn signals stoped working. My hazards work just fine so it's not any of the bulbs and since then I've replaced the fuse, flasher relay and the turn signal switch and still no luck and the old fuse was blown and there was light corrosion on the contacts. The turn signal switch looked in good condition.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:04
NAXJA Forum User

I have a 69 cherokee I had bad brake light switch replaced it replaces turn signal switch in columb all bulbs and multi flasher cube and still have no turn sognals or 4 way flashers
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:24
NAXJA Forum User

I fought this problem for a while till i found that there are two flashers,one for 4 way and one for turn signals.I know it's simple but be sure you have changed the correct one.
Old April 15th, 2019, 18:06
How 'bout it Gonzo

Make sure the terminals in the fuse box are good. The clutch master likes to leak into the fuse box and cause corrosion. The terminals will crack and appear to make contact. While in reality they are open circuit.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008