• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift Kit Ride Quality?

cavalier

NAXJA Forum User
I bought the RE 3.5" lift kit w/full leaf packs for my '92 XJ 4.0 AW4.

The ride quality is abysmal. Granted, I have JK 4dr Rubicon shocks, but I'm wondering: those of you who have this same setup... how is the ride?

Also, how's the flex?

-DT

IDK if JK shocks are too firm or what. Control arm drop brackets will improve the pavement ride 100%. I would consider different shocks also. My RE 3.5 lift has acceptable ride and decent flex. It was kinda rough before the drop brackets.

IDK if JK shocks are too firm or what. Control arm drop brackets will improve the pavement ride 100%. I would consider different shocks also. My RE 3.5 lift has acceptable ride and decent flex. It was kinda rough before the drop brackets.

Hmm. I have extended control arms...

So perhaps this really is a shock issue?

-DT

My XJ with a 3 inch lift ride horrible. I experimented with the JK shocks. No difference. When I decided to go the 4.5 lift like I planned I did the Rocky Road outfitters drop brackets. Ride is really nice. What happens when we lift our rings the control arm no longer end up in a flat line. They end up at a steep angle. They no longer are able go up and down with the suspension. They absorb the the road and transfer it into the body and give a harsh ride. When you do a drop bracket or a long arm the control arms are now in more of a flat line and can move with the suspension. The flex with the drop brackets is good and better than in the stock location. But no where near that of a long arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3.5" RE kit also has very stiff front springs. The spring rate is super high.

Anyway. I started with the are 3.5" kit and wasn't very happy with the ride. After long arms and shackle relocation brackets the ride was improved ten fold.

The 4dr JK is MUCH heavier than your jeep so I would guess the shocks you are using stiffen things up quite a bit.
Everything that has been said above about drop brackets is correct, they drastically improve ride quality + they stop the pounding the unibody takes with a lifted suspension (too steep control arm angles).
I installed RE drop brackets & WJ control arms (easy to convert), the ride is the best of any XJ I've ever felt.
Good luck.

I have 3.5" RE lift with their Monotone shocks and I think it rides really well for what it is. I wouldn't call it abysmal. My Cousin had the same lift with JK shocks and his rode horrible compared to mine and we had the exact same lift kit. Your ride quality is probably due to wrong shock choice.

I just installed that lift on my wife xj. I used the shocks from my xj some older monotubes not even sure what brand. Rides like a dream probably the smoothest lifted xj I've been in.

Back