• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Get chrome windshield trim off?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all...

I'm getting the old '92 XJ Laredo ready for paint. There's rust on the body at the bottom of the windshield. I need to get the chrome windshield trim off so I can get at it. There are little tabs under this trim of some sort. I've had the windshield replaced and those guys pop it off easily.

How do I get it off?

Thanks!

Mike

Good Question. I want to "blackout" my jeep and This is the only thing that I cant figure out how to get off.

Called the company that installed my windshield couple of years ago. They gave me the answer.

The trim has a curled edge where it touches the body. This curl slides between small plastic snaps that attach to the body. So the curl slides between the snap and the body and snaps into place. It won't come back out.

The trick is to first mask the windshield with tape in case you slip. Then find a thin piece of metal maybe 1/2" wide. Cut or grind a small recess into each side a little under 1/8" back from the end. This makes a hook on each side. Slide this between the glass and the trim and try to hook the plastic snap on it's edge. After you hook it, pull it away from the body, hopefully releasing the curl and allowing the trim to be pulled directly away from the windshield. Start from one end of the trim and work your way along freeing each snap in succession.

I found that a small screw driver inserted between the trim and the body at the location of the snap could be used to pry both curl and snap from the body and give a little more room to hook the snap. Once hooked the screw driver can be removed and the trim pressed back towards the body, then up and out. This is a little hard on the paint....

Mike

go buy some new clips.
yours are old, the plastic will break.
The above post is correct, I've taken it off.
you can get the clips from any place that does windshileds, I couldn't find them anywhere else, but the windshiled guy sold them to me cheap.

Back