• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiators, a review.

No complaints with mine, but it has to go through a summer and some long trips before I can offer meaningful feedback.

I need to order a radiator this weekend and the Champion BC1193 is at the top of my list. Does it come with the trans cooler fittings? One picture on the website shows two elbow fittings, shouldn't the top port be a nipple type fitting?

I just installed a BC1193 on my 99. Yes, it comes with the proper fittings.

I had to make a couple of mods to fit the radiator. One was to elongate the bottom condenser bracket holes. Not sure if it was just my XJ, or because the BC1193 is thicker, but I couldn't get the bottom radiator posts to fit into the condenser bracket. I just used a carbide burr on an angle grinder to elongate the holes.

The condenser also had this bracket on the passenger side where the tubes come in that rubbed up against the radiator core on the front side. I was afraid it would wear through, so I just removed it.

I also had to grind down some of the plastic on the e-fan to make it fit better. I used a flap disk on the grinder to make short work of it.

All in all, so far the radiator works great. It just takes a little work to get it to fit properly.

I just installed a BC1193 on my 99. Yes, it comes with the proper fittings.

I had to make a couple of mods to fit the radiator. One was to elongate the bottom condenser bracket holes. Not sure if it was just my XJ, or because the BC1193 is thicker, but I couldn't get the bottom radiator posts to fit into the condenser bracket. I just used a carbide burr on an angle grinder to elongate the holes.

The condenser also had this bracket on the passenger side where the tubes come in that rubbed up against the radiator core on the front side. I was afraid it would wear through, so I just removed it.

I also had to grind down some of the plastic on the e-fan to make it fit better. I used a flap disk on the grinder to make short work of it.

All in all, so far the radiator works great. It just takes a little work to get it to fit properly.
Thanks for your insight and details on the mods you had to make. I'm very familiar dealing with the idiosyncrasies of aftermarket parts and it sure is helpful to have a heads up on these types of things. I haven't change out a radiator in a while and just trying to make sure all my bases or covered before I get into it.

Thanks for your insight and details on the mods you had to make. I'm very familiar dealing with the idiosyncrasies of aftermarket parts and it sure is helpful to have a heads up on these types of things. I haven't change out a radiator in a while and just trying to make sure all my bases or covered before I get into it.

The factory radiator mounts are not electrically insulated and will allow a galvanic corrosion reaction between the radiator and engine block. I'm not sure whether galvanic corrosion is an issue if the coolant is in good condition, but it should be pretty easy to electrically insulate the radiator. The path to ground is via the radiator contacting the AC condenser. Electrical tape wrapped around the condenser brackets and maybe a nylon tubing sleeve on the lower radiator mounting pins and on the upper condenser mounting pins ought to electrically isolate the radiator. The condenser bracket holes on the condenser and radiator may have to be enlarged to accommodate the nylon sleeve.

Just received my new BC1193. Came with the proper fittings but it also came with a pair of o-rings. Any idea what they are for? My plan was to just put some teflon tape on the fittings and screw them in but it looks like I'm suppose to do something with the o-rings.

Just received my new BC1193. Came with the proper fittings but it also came with a pair of o-rings. Any idea what they are for? My plan was to just put some teflon tape on the fittings and screw them in but it looks like I'm suppose to do something with the o-rings.

Just a guess but there is an O-Ring in the lower tranny cooler line and guessing maybe one in the top one.
So replacements for those?

My lower fitting has two o-rings that I can see and they look smaller then the ones supplied. It does look like one of these would fit on the shoulder inside the quick release fitting but I didn't notice one there when I took it apart. Maybe I lost it? First time doing a radiator on an XJ.

Apparently I can't post pics yet. But heres a link if it helps.

https://imgur.com/a/l0DjR3e

worlds better

see project unicorn thread for details on it

There are only install details in your project unicorn thread. No commentary on the Cold Case performance. In reviewing your unicorn thread, I am reminded that I'm jealous that you were able to move your Cold Case radiator forward to make room for a ZJ fan clutch.

Ahh.

Reprogrammed fan to come on at 180* with ECU tune.
180* high flow thermostat
high flow thermostat housing
GMB hi flow water pump
Cold case.
ZJ HD fan clutch.

In 100* heat i can run the AC at 70 up a 6* grade in 3rd gear and it gets to like 185 and holds there.

Ahh.

Reprogrammed fan to come on at 180* with ECU tune.
180* high flow thermostat
high flow thermostat housing
GMB hi flow water pump
Cold case.
ZJ HD fan clutch.

In 100* heat i can run the AC at 70 up a 6* grade in 3rd gear and it gets to like 185 and holds there.

Nice. Do you have a standalone trans cooler installed? If yes, which? Also, what brand/model high flow tstat?

Back