NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:41
NAXJA Forum User

Custom battery cables

First off I never payed much attention to the battery cables, if I had a bad one I went to the parts store and picked up a replacement.
Now I will be relocating the battery (actually 2) to the bed of the MJ. I can't find standard off the shelf ones long enough. So, it looks like I need to build them. Remember, I don't know much about wiring so school me on what gauge I need. Also, I can get the battery terminal ends at any parts store, but what do I use, and where do I find the connections for the other ends?
I plan to some day have a winch, and I plan to weld using the dual batteries.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Custom battery cables

i have used welding wire (the larger size up from 4guage i think it's called OT? or 0guage?) its really flexiable and semi-cheap. for the ends i also used ends for an arc welder (not the battery side) i double ground the ground wire, to the engine block and the closest place posible to the battery (i think 12" is about as long as you want to go).

i bought the wire at orsheln farm and home (a walmart for the non-city oriented people) it was on sale for like $.30/foot i also made some jumper cables since it was so cheap.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:33
NAXJA Forum User

go over to the Pirate board and find any post by me ("brettm" over there) and in my sig line there is a link to a thread with pictures of my MJ

i have 2 batteries in the back in a Rocket Box from Surpluscenter.com, I went to a welding shop to get my cable, I think it was 1 guage, then got ends from Autozone.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:40
NAXJA Forum User

Smile Re: Custom battery cables

Check out terminalsupply.com They carry everything you need to make custom battery cables & much more.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 14:41
NAXJA Forum User

I re-did mine in welding cable also. It's nice and heavy and also flexable. I got mine from Napa.
Billy
Old May 2nd, 2004, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpi_jeep
i have used welding wire (the larger size up from 4guage i think it's called OT? or 0guage?) its really flexiable and semi-cheap. for the ends i also used ends for an arc welder (not the battery side) i double ground the ground wire, to the engine block and the closest place posible to the battery (i think 12" is about as long as you want to go).

i bought the wire at orsheln farm and home (a walmart for the non-city oriented people) it was on sale for like $.30/foot i also made some jumper cables since it was so cheap.
cable sizes go like this, from smaller to larger...4 guage, 2 guage, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, then they go into measurements of cross sectional diameter, starting at 250 MCM and up.
I put in 4/0 to connect my dual optima yellows under the hood. don't know how much smaller i would go than that, especially mounting them in the back and running a welder off them.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 21:36
NAXJA Member #15

I bought the stuff to make my cables here:
http://www.wranglernw.com/ecotech/page2.asp

Probably not the cheapest, but a good, reliable company.

What is the maximum amperage draw that you anticipate? Here's a chart that lists wire guages and current carrying capability:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Fred
Old May 2nd, 2004, 22:59
Parts Collector

I second nwwrangler power products customer service, it is top rate. I used their military battery terminals and hi-amp alternator with 2/0 welding cable on my tow vehicle. The terminals allow you to use eyelets on each end of the cables.

I would use the 4/0 welding cable for runs over eight feet.

Tom
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:45
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for all the ideas and info guys. Now I need to do some comparing.
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
I bought the stuff to make my cables here:
http://www.wranglernw.com/ecotech/page2.asp

Probably not the cheapest, but a good, reliable company.

What is the maximum amperage draw that you anticipate? Here's a chart that lists wire guages and current carrying capability:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Fred
The first link does not work, do you have another?
Old May 8th, 2004, 16:00
NAXJA Forum User

I used Marine Grade battery cable I got from a local boating supply house. Oil, Heat, Water resistant.
Old May 8th, 2004, 20:15
NAXJA Member #15

Try this one. The other one works on this computer, maybe because it is in the cache.

http://www.wranglernw.com/

Fred
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Try this one. The other one works on this computer, maybe because it is in the cache.

http://www.wranglernw.com/

Fred
Nope, that didn't work either, wierd.
Old January 26th, 2005, 22:09
Retired Navy

A little late on this thread, but talking about wire gages. I use 4 gage welding wire. It has a capacity of 400 amps up to 50 feet. IMHO that is plenty for all needs on a cherokee. I also used it to make my own jumper cables. I have used them in jump starting freightshacker classics the past 2 winters. Never had any problems.
Old January 26th, 2005, 22:44
NAXJA Forum User

If you check the charts, you'll find that #4 welding cable is good for all of 100A to 50'.

However, if you still haven't had any luck, I'm about to order cable to make custom cables for those of us here that need them (including jumper leads, eventually,) so if you want to hit me with the lengths you need, I'll put you on the list.

I'll be using #1 cable, which is rated for 250A to 50'. Crimped, ox-garded, sealed, and made to length.

Ref my post "Feeler - custom battery cables" or something similar on Mod tech for tentative pricing (I'll firm that up when I finish ordering cable in a bit...)

5-90