• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Trailer consideration

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
With the new RTT coming this week and the fact that it takes all the roof area on the XJ i have been considering another trailer. I sold my 51 M100 last spring cause i couldnt bring myself to modify it.

Close to a year later and M416's and CDN101's are getting pricey and picking up an Adventure Trailer is not in the budget at the moment. Then lying in bed the other night i had a revelation. :looney:

A few years ago when my father retired and planned a move down south a bud gave him a trailer.. it's a bed section of a early 60's Chevy stepside pickup. Dad decided not to use it, and it ended up in the hands of one of my buds. I called him the other day asking what became of it. He painted, installed harness and taillights and hasnt used it in years.... come get it he says.

Looks like one of these with a tongue attached.

chevystepside2.jpg

Stepsidebed1.jpg

I'm thinking, pull the rear bumper, side fenders and steps. This being a stepside it has no inner fenderwells... and has a tailgate for easy access. I could fab up a set of fenders like an M416, a hinged lid on top and i think it would look good. Similar to a 416 just a tad longer and a bit wider. Best part is it's not leaf sprung, it uses coils and trailing arms which would provide a good ride behind the XJ.

I'm heading over my buds to see this, take some measurements. I'll post up the pics later. Am i nuts... or does someone else see what i do?

Forgot the camera. This thing is going to work great.

The box measures 80" long and 54" wide inside, overall length is 10' from tongue to tailgate.

Need to install the hitch on my XJ and go get it. This will turn into a build thread.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

IllianaXJ said:
Subscribed.

I'd like to eventually do the same kind of thing with a Comanche bed trailer.

I had considered an MJ bed for awhile. Decided against it. Too wide to easily reach over the side and grab something i need. Wider on a tight trail, and tough to find a clean one here on the east coast.

The dimensions on this box will work well for me.

Would like to see some detail pictures of that suspension and how the trailer was built. If you take them.

Ghost said:
Would like to see some detail pictures of that suspension and how the trailer was built. If you take them.

I'll be taking pics of what i started with and it's transformation. :cheers:

I'd be concerned about leaving the stock suspension. Those arms are pretty long and connect to the crossmember between the frame rails. Doesn't leave you much room to connect a trailer tongue.

You can pick up a trailer axle and springs cheap, weld them in and get rid of the 10 bolt, drum brakes and all that mess. Plus you can pick your bolt pattern and run some jeep wheels.

Definately a cool idea though. My fleetside wouldn't work so well.

RedHeep said:
I'd be concerned about leaving the stock suspension. Those arms are pretty long and connect to the crossmember between the frame rails. Doesn't leave you much room to connect a trailer tongue.

You can pick up a trailer axle and springs cheap, weld them in and get rid of the 10 bolt, drum brakes and all that mess. Plus you can pick your bolt pattern and run some jeep wheels.

Definately a cool idea though. My fleetside wouldn't work so well.

You sound familiar with this vintage truck. Your correct that the trailing arms connect to a crossmember.. but it's just in front of the box. The tongue was done by bringing the factory framerails (C Channel) in at that junction.. and a coupler added. They did a pretty good job.

Checked out www.abctrailerparts.com and they list an axle ~60" with 4.5" boltpattern with brakes rated at 3500lbs. But they can also build to suit.

I need to be carefull with how much i change on this... at what point would it be better to just fab from scratch. Maybe the next trailer once i see the shortcomings of what i end up with.

so thats a 10 bolt with drop out 3rd member?

John B said:
You sound familiar with this vintage truck. Your correct that the trailing arms connect to a crossmember.. but it's just in front of the box. The tongue was done by bringing the factory framerails (C Channel) in at that junction.. and a coupler added. They did a pretty good job.

Checked out www.abctrailerparts.com and they list an axle ~60" with 4.5" boltpattern with brakes rated at 3500lbs. But they can also build to suit.

I need to be carefull with how much i change on this... at what point would it be better to just fab from scratch. Maybe the next trailer once i see the shortcomings of what i end up with.

so thats a 10 bolt with drop out 3rd member?

IIRC, it's just a regular truck ten bolt with a cover, no drop out. I'd have to go outside and look :)

Northern has a 2000 lb kit for $160:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330529_200330529

I wouldn't think you'd need 1 1/2 ton axle for that trailer, it was only a half ton setup from the factory.

I have a long term '66 project, so I've done a little wrenching on the back of that particular system.

IIRC the Adventure Trailers use a trailing arm system with and air bag and shock. Not a bad system for an off-road trailer, independent suspension.

Get rid of the truck axle and weld in some stub axles and hubs w/ a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

RedHeep said:
IIRC, it's just a regular truck ten bolt with a cover, no drop out. I'd have to go outside and look :)

Northern has a 2000 lb kit for $160:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330529_200330529

I wouldn't think you'd need 1 1/2 ton axle for that trailer, it was only a half ton setup from the factory.

I have a long term '66 project, so I've done a little wrenching on the back of that particular system.

The 3500# axle may be overkill but i'll also use it to haul firewood home, for the slight price difference i'll go with it.

Take a look under your truck. Mine def has a removable third.

karstic said:
IIRC the Adventure Trailers use a trailing arm system with and air bag and shock. Not a bad system for an off-road trailer, independent suspension.

Get rid of the truck axle and weld in some stub axles and hubs w/ a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

Exactly! When i saw that suspension i was pleasantly surprised. I originally towed this home years ago before it went to my bud. I did notice how well it rode behind the Jeep, and it was empty.

mikeforte said:
Where are the pics???

:laugh3: I got carried away yesterday playing with the RTT and pulling a D30. Back is paying the price today.

I'll get it home this week and post em up.

IH8RDS said:
Good Idea. I always wished my M416 was a little bigger. If you put an axle under it, put the same one you have under your jeep. Then you will have a spare.

Scott, i had been advised (over at EXPO.. your there too IIRC) that an axle with r&p will induce drag. So the plan is a 3500lb trailer axle with elec brakes... for about half of what an XJ 44 would cost. Not to mention the unnecessary weight.

While were back on the axle topic. How important is matching the track width with the XJ? I still need to see if an XJ width axle will fit with tires mounted and clear the trailer.

On the wood in bed, if it is it's probably rotted, there is a sheet of aluminum covering the bed. I'll know more later in the week.

I used to have a 57 Chevy step side that had a beautiful wood bed, but I think that will weigh too much. I considered putting a wood bed in the M416, but weight was an issue. I just laid down a thin sheet of steel.

I didn't think about the drag, and those 44's are not cheap. My M416 is narrower then the Cherokee, but it pulls fine. Wider i couldn't tell you. Good luck. Sounds like a fun project and you already have a tailgate :)

IH8RDS said:
I used to have a 57 Chevy step side that had a beautiful wood bed, but I think that will weigh too much. I considered putting a wood bed in the M416, but weight was an issue. I just laid down a thin sheet of steel.

I didn't think about the drag, and those 44's are not cheap. My M416 is narrower then the Cherokee, but it pulls fine. Wider i couldn't tell you. Good luck. Sounds like a fun project and you already have a tailgate :)

This should work out well. Still havent had the time to run around the corner and drag it home.

So... whatcha do google EXPO?! Good to see ya there. Lots of us over there now.

Back